JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've got a little bit of a headache issue, and I'm wondering if anyone might have any ideas.

I just got a new powder measure, rotary type, problem is, there seems to be something slightly sticky inside the powder barrel, and I'm getting wonky powder charges being thrown as the powder is sticking. I cleaned it with alcohol, then acetone, and it's improved, but still sticking.

I might go grab some graphite at the hardware store tomorrow, and give it a few puffs.

Anyone else got any other ideas? It's making me a bit nuts.

So I've got a little bit of a headache issue, and I'm wondering if anyone might have any ideas.

I just got a new powder measure, rotary type, problem is, there seems to be something slightly sticky inside the powder barrel, and I'm getting wonky powder charges being thrown as the powder is sticking. I cleaned it with alcohol, then acetone, and it's improved, but still sticking.

I might go grab some graphite at the hardware store tomorrow, and give it a few puffs.

Anyone else got any other ideas? It's making me a bit nuts.
What brand is it?

I measure my .45 rounds 6 times before they are put in cases.

How about a dryer sheet?
If weighing the powder charge for one round six times before the powder goes into the case is a system that works for you, I'll be the last one to criticize your program. I'm interested as to why, though. I drop my charges into my scale pan at maybe half a grain under, then trickle it up to the desired weight. In just a few cases charged, I've figgered-out how many turns of the trickler will be needed to get right to the final weight. If I go over by even one-tenth of a grain, the powder goes back into the measure and I charge the case again. That you weigh your charges six times leads me to believe you're loading-up ammo that has proven itself to be very accurate in your gun. For me, I'd be reluctant to shoot ammo in which I have so much time and effort.

I have read that dryer sheets can reduce static electricity on what they've been rubbed.

So this is the hyper-fancy powder measure on my new Mk7 Apex 10 with autodrive, so far, really impressed with the machine just can't get powder drops with H335 to be on the normal, it will be spot on at my charge weight, and then all of the sudden, just start throwing half a grain more or less. I might just put a dillon powder measure on it *hork* until I can figure out what the issue is.

I just put some graphite lube on it, which seems to keep the powder from sticking, but I'm now no longer sure if there's more sticking going on somewhere else in there.

Sorry, bench is a little messy, everything kinda getting crammed in.

IMG_20220722_192742073.jpg

Once the packing/manufacturing grease is gone you should be ok.
There are multiple ways to get rid of lube/grease, some require more disassembly than others.
Getting a patch into the "barrel" of the measure might be required.

I normally use Hornady one shot cleaner (not the case lube) and then follow up with alcohol wipes which evaporate
The one shot cleaner has a very good rust preventative that remains when dry. I use it for cleaning dies, measures, barrels etc where I want rust prevention but not grease like used on the press.

I only use dryer sheets for the powder funnels however each to their own.

Sometimes 99% alcohol works better than 70% but isn't usually required

Ballistol might also work here. It's very light and cleans up easy

Last Edited:
Once the packing/manufacturing grease is gone you should be ok.
There are multiple ways to get rid of lube/grease, some require more disassembly than others.
Getting a patch into the "barrel" of the measure might be required.

I normally use Hornady one shot cleaner (not the case lube) and then follow up with alcohol wipes which evaporate
The one shot cleaner has a very good rust preventative that remains when dry. I use it for cleaning dies, measures, barrels etc where I want rust prevention but not grease like used on the press.

I only use dryer sheets for the powder funnels however each to their own.

Sometimes 99% alcohol works better than 70% but isn't usually required

Ballistol might also work here. It's very light and cleans up easy
Yea, usually the degreasing chemicals we use are breakparts cleaner, acetone, and alcohol, in some variation, In some cases, it feels like the surface just needs a little bit of rust to stop with the sticking. I dunno. I ended up going back to using a Dillon powder measure, which is a little funny given the difference in size between it and the Mk7 powder measure. Either way, it's a fight for another day. I put 50K rounds on this dillon measure earlier this year, I think it'll go another 50.

As far as dryer sheets go, I think I have some anti-static spray around here, it's actually for electrical assembly instead of clothing, and it's worked really well in the past. Another interesting doodad is an air ionizer, I don't think it has much residual radiation but it used to have a pretty strong amount of Po-210 enough to curl your hair certainly, but maybe not enough for the permanent orange afro...

I have used a puff or two of graphite, to lube things up. It just makes things run smoother. DR
Yea, dunno why but it didn't make any difference in this case. Interesting tidbit about this particular measure, it actually has roller bearings that hold the drum. The rotation on this drum is slicker than snot. But yea, just won't hold the accuracy I need at the moment. *Shorg*

So here's an interesting one. I bought a new auto trickler/dispenser the other day (Lyman Gen 6) in reading the instructions (IKR?) it said if static is an issue, wipe surfaces down with a paper towel moistened with window cleaner. Well, being a brand new thing, I sure enough had issues with static, and I tried it, and it fixed the issue.

So far love the dispenser, I'll do a review later. Either way, I did the same thing for my powder dispenser on my press, and so far that seems to have greatly affected the outcome of it, so there's that.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top