JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After much thought I believe 21 is a reasonable minimum age unless the person is an armed forces member. Thinking back to when I could be drafted without being able to vote I believed an 18 year old should have all the rights of a 21 year old. However today with 18 being the voting age my belief has changed. I don't see this generation mature enough or trained as past generations were trained. There are definitely exceptions to this but as a majority young people today just haven't had the experience with firearms given in the past. If I am wrong then they can vote for new laws.

My friend from high school (1976 grad) has one; he's 62. I think it took him a year to get it. He lives in Stockton, if that County location means anything.
What matters in a may (not) issue jurisdiction;
  • Who you know in the issuing jurisdiction.
  • Fame or wealth. Howard Stern has a NYPD CCW. He's mentioned it several times on his radio show. Trump has a NY and possibly a NJ CCW. This was well before he became POTUS. It wouldn't surprise me if he also has a FL CCW but that's a moot point since FL is shall issue.
  • How politically connected the person is in the issuing jurisdiction; CA US Senator Feinstein has one of the nearly impossible to obtain SFPD CCW permits. This has been all over the Internet for years. As long as she has some political influence, she'll keep her CA CCW issued by SFPD.
  • The person has a professional license where they have to be armed (i.e. private security, PI, etc.).
  • A credible well documented threat.
  • Who is the chief LEO in the issuing jurisdiction. Some are much more flexible than others. There was talk for the longest time online many years ago about the Culver City CA PD Chief at the time about being de facto shall issue. I don't know if that had him removed as chief of police. It wouldn't surprise me if it did.
  • Political demographics of the county; some of the rural CA jurisdictions are de facto shall issue. So yes, county location does mean something.
I don't know what combination of the above your friend did to get his CA CCW. On the San Joaquin County Sheriff's CCW page, they have "good cause" listed as a criteria. I don't know if personal protection is a good cause of not. All I know is that I left San Diego CA in 1992 and never looked back. I avoid venturing into CA. I can legally CCW in every State that borders CA including OR, I have an OR CHL. Two of the counties in OR are shall issue to the resident of any State that borders OR.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top