JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How do they define "powerful?" If they are comparing the muzzle energy of an undescribed handgun to an AR-15, they may have a case. If I remember correctly, the muzzle energy of an M193 bullet is 1292 foot-pounds when the 55-grain bullet is traveling at 3240 feet per second. I'm pretty sure the muzzle energy of a 40-grain .22LR bullet traveling at somewhere near 1250 feet per second is somewhat less than that of the aforementioned 55-grain bullet.

The 60 Minutes story is nothing more than a hit piece to make firearms-ignorant Americans even less knowledgeable about firearms than they already happen to be. I'll give you one guess as to what stripe of voter watches CBS...

And apparently if you add a "silencer" to that 3300fps "assault weapon," you cannot even hear it shoot!
I once saw a young man shooting his 300WinMag with a suppressor on it. The report was very much like two hands being clapped together. If it didn't take a year to get a suppressor, I'd buy one for my wildcat rounds. Both cartridges use around 65 grains of powder, so there's some noise coming out the far end of the barrel. The young man's suppressor made watching him shoot not much of a chore at all...

I once saw a young man shooting his 300WinMag with a suppressor on it. The report was very much like two hands being clapped together. If it didn't take a year to get a suppressor, I'd buy one for my wildcat rounds. Both cartridges use around 65 grains of powder, so there's some noise coming out the far end of the barrel. The young man's suppressor made watching him shoot not much of a chore at all...

I own one and they aren't that quiet unless your shooting subsonic ammo.

Any bullet going over the speed of sound will always have a hell of a pop when it passes any ears.

Suppressors only work on some of the muzzle blast. There is no free lunch, regardless of Hollywood.

SR

We, Duh............
It's why the savvy among us KNOWS the pistol is only there to get you to a fighting rifle!
A Standard AR 5.56 with 55 gr M193 has WAY more energy then most hand guns, and 7.62X51, it's so far outside the realm of handgun power as to make the handgun look like a toy!

A standard 5.56mm round with 55-gr M193 has WAY more energy than most hand guns and the 7.62X51 NATO round is so far outside the realm of handgun power as to make the handgun look like a toy!
Estimating the muzzle velocity of 2700 fps for a 150-grain .308" bullet, I get 2428 foot-pounds of muzzle energy. The muzzle energy of a .224" bullet at 3250 fps is 1282 foot-pounds. The .308" bullet is 89.4% more powerful than the .224" bullet, at least at the muzzle.

The difference between the two is that an AR-type rifle can be purchased these days for under a thousand dollars, and usually for less than even that. An M1A is approaching fifteen-hundred to eighteen-hundred dollars. What crazy-eyed, high school glans penis is going to save the money to buy himself an M1A with which he plans to shoot-up his bullying classmates on Valentines' Day, Hitler's birthday or the last day of school? Answer: No one. If these wacko kids who shoot-up their schools could just as easily get their hands on an M1A there would be screechy calls to ban the rifles, just as there are screechy calls to ban our AR-type rifles. The M1A has a wood stock, so it's not an "assault rifle." In a nod to Eric Swinewell, the M1A does not have that evil "protruding pistol grip" which all skull jockeys know has the absolute power to get into a man's mind and force him to commit heinous crimes. Yes, indeed. That pistol grip. So unbelievably persuasive that the State of Insanifornia has outlawed them on all AR-type rifles short of those registered as "assault weapons." An owner now has to buy something that looks like you'd want to see it atop the spine of a fish.

"Yes, Mr. RSO. My rifle has the "spine of a fish" grip. But the bullets still exit the barrel at 3240 fps, just like they did before all this brain-dead bullschumer about grips, bayonet lugs, muzzle devices and collapsing stocks began. So what's the difference?" The difference, kid, is that the Criminal Left wants you to not be acquainted with a "weapon of war." The M1A has a nice wood stock and no pistol grip; it's not a "weapon of war." Neither is Ruger's Mini-14. No pistol grip; wood stock. Not an "assault weapon." Yes, it fires the same ammo but it doesn't look so menacing, so it gets a pass...

The abject stupidity and ignorance about firearms that is exhibited by those who promulgate laws against their lawful use by responsible adults blows my mind. It's like putting toddlers in charge of the licensing and operation of automobiles. It's truly a case of not knowing schumer from shoe polish...

Last Edited:
And lets not even talk about the grand daddy of all modern BATTLE RIFLES, the M-1 Garand! That thing is pure spite and evil, it busts your thumbs, and spits clips at you, kicks you around and is a heavy bastage, and i would carry one in a heart beat!

I'm glad that a bit O' wood will persuade the miserable fux to leave me alone.

Ha!

DSC01686.JPG

SR

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top