JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can carry open or concealed in Arizona (no permit required). However, if you want to carry into a place that serves alcohol - but allows firearms - you have to carry concealed and you will need a CCW permit. But, just going out and about, you can carry without any issues.

Well that is what I thought but wanted to confirm. Thank you all!!! I keep telling my SIL that he needs to start carrying but he doesn't for some reason. I would at least feel better if I did especially on hikes. Last time we ran into a rattler. If I was carrying I would have shot the vile thing.

Well that is what I thought but wanted to confirm. Thank you all!!! I keep telling my SIL that he needs to start carrying but he doesn't for some reason. I would at least feel better if I did especially on hikes. Last time we ran into a rattler. If I was carrying I would have shot the vile thing.

You might want to carry a shovel, to cut the snake's head off--shooting inside city limits can be expensive in terms of jail time & losing your right to own a gun

You might want to carry a shovel, to cut the snake's head off--shooting inside city limits can be expensive in terms of jail time & losing your right to own a gun

Ya I wouldn't discharge one in the city limits. But on remote hikes like the wife and daughter like to take I'm sure there are other creatures stirring other than rattlers.

In that case a good revolver in a serious caliber would be a good idea, first two rounds snake shot. Actually, this is the ONLY logical reason for one of those weird Taurus Judge or SW Governor .410 revolvers. :) If you can afford it, a cross draw rig with your snake gun, (A Davis 38Spl derringer with snake shot will do, not ideal by far, but it will do), and standard CCW in the usual place.

In that case a good revolver in a serious caliber would be a good idea, first two rounds snake shot. Actually, this is the ONLY logical reason for one of those weird Taurus Judge or SW Governor .410 revolvers. :) If you can afford it, a cross draw rig with your snake gun, (A Davis 38Spl derringer with snake shot will do, not ideal by far, but it will do), and standard CCW in the usual place.

Sounds like one of those Taurus guns would be perfect for that purpose.

If I was carrying I would have shot the vile thing.
Pay attention to the type of rattlesnake of the 20+ species in AZ some are protected (you go to jail for shooting) two have both neurotoxin and hemotoxin,(one is ranked the 10th most deadly in the world). Like carrying a firearm, bad decisions will cost you. One below is ranked 10th most deadly.

Rattler.JPG

I am 99.99% of the time VERY careful of the law, but when it comes to the Danger Noodle and the Buzz of Death - if he's too close, he done gets zapped. There is an exception in AZ law for shooting protected species if they attack you. Now if Brother Snake is 30 feet away and just giving me the "don't mess with me I already have a headache" warning, I will leave him be and give large berth.

When I was a kid I saw my dad shoot a rattlesnake with his 22 mag Hi Standard derringer,
the first shot nearly ripped the snake's head from it's body as it was loaded with snake shot & apparently the snake sensed the shot coming it's way & struck at it. The second shot ripped what was left of the snake's head away from the body & it was all done, except for me putting the body into a plastic bag & into the freezer. Dad kicked the head into a hole in the ground and we used to take the bodies to the leather guy in town--he paid $100 for 3 of them.

Having the snake in the freezer was exciting for guests as me or my brother would often get one out & toss it to the unwitting victim in a somewhat gruesome game of catch:s0001:

I have killed a bunch with my flat blade shovel. I was at a client's house and noticed a rattler in his front yard. When I told him he grabbed his snake catcher, a rod with a wire loop through it, anyhow he got the snake & proudly carried it into the backyard, before releasing it. I told him it would just show back up in the front yard & he agreed saying, "I usually put him in the backyard every day or two"--hard to argue with vacation home owning tourists

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Prescott Valley, AZ
Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top