JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A really accurate target rifle. I've built one, but it's a beast at nineteen pounds. Also built it in .30-caliber magnum. I had no idea way back in 2004 that target rifles were not built in .30-caliber magnum. It's very accurate, but it's just too much for a long day at the bench. Wish I had known that target rifles are usually 7mm or 6.5mm; would have saved recoil to the shoulder and powder costs down the barrel. Too late to change it all, now. Don't shoot enough to build a 6.5mm. Things are tough all over...

DB Wesner said:
Well of my bucket list guns, I shot the Marlin 1895 .45-70 this past Saturday. It's even better looking in person and it may have just moved up to #1 on the list...

If touching one was the problem stay away from the broken ones in .457 WW.

Arch's 2016.jpg

A really accurate target rifle. I've built one, but it's a beast at nineteen pounds. Also built it in .30-caliber magnum. I had no idea way back in 2004 that target rifles were not built in .30-caliber magnum. It's very accurate, but it's just too much for a long day at the bench. Wish I had known that target rifles are usually 7mm or 6.5mm; would have saved recoil to the shoulder and powder costs down the barrel. Too late to change it all, now. Don't shoot enough to build a 6.5mm. Things are tough all over...
Now that sounds like my kinda target rifle. Heavy and kicks like a mule. Now that sounds like a fun day at the range.

Now that sounds like my kinda target rifle. Heavy and kicks like a mule. Now that sounds like a fun day at the range.
I posted a picture of it somewhere in these pages. It's a large picture, so I won't burn-up the bandwidth by posting it a second time. I suppose I'll run into it sooner or later, and will put up the URL (or website location) if I remember why I want to do so.

Post #142 of Guns, Gear, et cetera...

It doesn't kick all that much. Its nineteen-pound weight slows the recoil velocity to about what you'd expect from a .243 Winchester. Even that is just a guess. I have never run the numbers to calculate the free recoil. If anyone would so desire the rifle weighs nineteen pounds, uses 68 grains of H-4831SC powder and propels 180-grain bullets to 3000 fps. Recoil is a function of the powder charge, so I sometimes load down to 65 grains. I have cellphone videos of me shooting it. They're grainy and look like feces, but you can see the speed of the recoil. Looks to be kind o' slow, but then so did Dale Earnhardt hitting the wall on February 3, 2001 at Daytona. He was moving at 180 mph and the "slow-motion" impact we saw on TV killed him.

It doesn't kick all that much. Its nineteen-pound weight slows the recoil velocity to about what you'd expect from a .243 Winchester. I have cellphone videos of me shooting it. They're grainy and look like feces, but you can see the speed of the recoil.
The file is too large for my brother to send via email, and I have no idea how to get it from my android cellphone to my computer. I can't figger-out how to Select it for transfer, et cetera...

My brother shooting the .358 Sierra Stomper. I got this down from 76 seconds to ten. Did it over a year ago; have no idea how to do it again.

Couldn't post it. File does not have an allowable extension. It's an .mp4 file, something which I guess is strictly verboten to post-up on this site...

It doesn't kick all that much. Its nineteen-pound weight slows the recoil velocity to about what you'd expect from a .243 Winchester. Even that is just a guess. I have never run the numbers to calculate the free recoil. If anyone would so desire the rifle weighs nineteen pounds, uses 68 grains of H-4831SC powder and propels 180-grain bullets to 3000 fps.
Found a recoil calculator. The recoil impulse is 3.91 pound-seconds. The recoil velocity is 6.62 fps. The recoil energy is 12.93 foot-pounds.

Recoil from a .243 Winchester rifle weighing 7.25 pounds, 45.0 grains of H4831 powder, 3000 fps and a 90-grain bullet has a recoil impulse of 2.2 pound-seconds; recoil velocity of 9.75 fps and recoil energy of 10.72 foot-pounds. So, the .243 recoils faster but offers a lesser punch than does my behemoth...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top