JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's hard to find definitive statistics on gun ownership, but a study by the Pew Research Center released this month indicated that just 16 percent of "non-white women" identified themselves as gun owners, compared with about 25 percent of white women. Other Pew surveys in recent years have shown a growing acceptance of firearms among African-Americans: In 2012, one found that less than a third of black households viewed gun ownership as positive; three years later, that number had jumped. By then, 59 percent of black families saw owning guns as a necessity.

Few states track gun permits by race or gender. But a recent study by gun-rights advocate and researcher John Lott showed that black women outpaced other races and genders in securing concealed carry permits between 2000 and 2016 in Texas, one of the few states that keep detailed demographic information.

Philip Smith founded the National African American Gun Association in 2012 during Black History Month to spread the word that gun ownership was not something reserved for whites. He figured it would ultimately attract about 300 members, a number achieved in its first month. It now boasts 20,000 members in 30 chapters across the country.

Black women picking up firearms for self-defense

I got asked to run a class recently by a black lesbian, I opened the class up, and said I would take 10 people for the class, it's full.

Firearms are the gateway drug to controlling your own destiny.

I got asked to run a class recently by a black lesbian, I opened the class up, and said I would take 10 people for the class, it's full.

Firearms are the gateway drug to controlling your own destiny.

That's fantastic. How did it go?

New Resource Reviews

Back Top