Best long range scope?

Discussion in 'Scopes & Optics' started by usampk9, Aug 24, 2017.

1. usampk9

usampk9
    Las Vegas, to

What is the best long range precision scope to put with the .308 caliber round?

2. CAMPMEAT

CAMPMEAT
    Near Nogales Az.

Vortex, Leupold, SWFA, Burris for a few off the top of my noggin. How much money do you want to spend ?

3. white90gt

white90gt

What is your definition of long range?

CAMPMEAT likes this.
  4. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w
    Oregon

just put a vortex viper 4-16x44 on my AR10. furthest shot has been 550. waiting for october to do 1000

5. thorborg

thorborg
    oregon

Not much experience in long range but lots with old eyes so just put a Leupold VX3i 4.5x14 with Boon and Crocker reticle on a 6.5.
    WOW!
    Previously, the variable gold ring 9 from the 70's in the same brand was the highest power I've used. however I have been totally happy with my old 2.5 X 7 Leupold from the same era until a few years ago.
    For me, the new scope difference is like night and day for all things; brightness, eye relief, parallax, edge clarity, moa gradient, etc. No proof, but even the field of view seems larger. Just those things alone has considerably enhanced the usefulness and effectiveness of the scope.
    Add to it the increase of five power and it is one of the best investments for the money I've made gun related in a long time.
    Boy have they come a long way in 45 years.
    I'm back in the game!:)

6. CAMPMEAT

CAMPMEAT
    Near Nogales Az.

I actually have a Millett on my 6.5 Creedmoor. Leupold Mark 4 on my 6.5x284. SWFA 10 power MRAD on my 6.5 Grendel.

7. thorborg

thorborg
    oregon

You nearly cover the 6.5 except mine is none of those: X55 Swede.

CAMPMEAT likes this.
  8. Kruejl

Kruejl
    Hillsboro, OR
    Moderator Staff Member

I've got a Vortex 4-14x44 Viper HST and have successfully hit a 2/3 silhouette at 800 yards with a .223 75 grain.