JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I spent mothers day weekend in AZ with my daughter and son in law. Gotta say I was really shocked to see the prices higher than what we pay here in the PNW. :confused:

What part of cave creek do you live in? My daughter lives really close to the intersection of N Cave Creek Rd and E Deer Valley Rd;)

That's seriously surprising about the prices.

That's seriously surprising about the prices.

That is what the 'gun show' has evolved into, at least the Crossroads shows. When I started out as an FFL, I was going to 3-4 gun shows a month. Then the Termark gun show exhibitor sold out to the Crossroads people--That reduced the frequency of the shows, and following that, I believe the Crossroads owners began raising the price of admission. IDK who raised the price of parking, but as a result, unless you are attending the Mesa or Glendale gun shows, you get to pay an additional fee to park your vehicle too. All the while, the vendors were raising their prices too

That is what the 'gun show' has evolved into, at least the Crossroads shows. When I started out as an FFL, I was going to 3-4 gun shows a month. Then the Termark gun show exhibitor sold out to the Crossroads people--That reduced the frequency of the shows, and following that, I believe the Crossroads owners began raising the price of admission. IDK who raised the price of parking, but as a result, unless you are attending the Mesa or Glendale gun shows, you get to pay an additional fee to park your vehicle too. All the while, the vendors were raising their prices too

Unfortunately I'm too young to remember the 'good old days' of gun shows where deals could be had :(

That just leaves garage sales,
I have heard fantastic tales (or lies) about the great low prices at some of them
When I sold my last house I had to rent ten roll-off dumpsters, cause I refused to
have a garage sale and let people pick over all my junk--I preferred to just toss it
all in the trash. I understand the garbage men get first crack at all the best used stuff!

Looking at the gun show calendars for Arizona and Nevada, it looks like you guys have multiple companies running shows down there. Which do you prefer and why?
The biggest shows are run by Crossroads of the West. There used to be many promoters, AAA, Road Runner, Termark, etc.. But most were gobbled up by the megalithic Templeton family. That was not necessarily a bad thing as Crossroads always spent more on advertising drawing more people. The biggest of the year is the 3 day SARS/Crossroads show which is a MUST SEE. Especially if your into NFA stuff.
I've been to their shows in Nevada also but their not nearly as big as the AZ shows. Private party sales are legal and permitted here which makes it more interesting. Gun shows were originally intended to be gatherings for enthusiasts not an adjunct for dealers. In fact, licensed dealers weren't permitted to do business at gun shows until the early 1980s. I think it's more fun with both.

I think I need to plan a trip down there to scope things out myself :D
The "Icehouse" show is coming up this weekend which is the second biggest/best of the year. I used to get tables for most AZ shows for years until disability got the better of me. If anybody wants to contact me for info I'm happy to oblige. What to see AND to avoid, places to stay, etc...
In my experience AZ does have better prices & selection for most part. Of course some of it is Groundhog Day like everywhere else; same old people with same old crud. I always find something new and interesting though.

Awww you missed out, I was at the Mesa Gun show years ago, when a round was discharged. To this day that gun show sucks, due to the extra police presence, which does little to keep another round from accidentally going off
I'm glad you were able to pay the money to park and enter the show & still found some ammo for less $$
I was there for that. It just happened to be show where Mexican govt. officials were there to observe! This during all the hype about cross-border traffic. Not a good representation for us. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt. Someone caught a splinter from shattered wood was all. Idiot responsible was banned for life from future shows.

I've only been to the Crossroads shows.
There are some deals there if you look.
Lots of the vendor booths are simply local firearms dealers that close their stores and hang out in their booths for the duration of the show. The one thing I DID find deals on was ammo. The first year I bought ammo and carried it around all day. DUMB MOVE!!! The next year I brought a hand dolly and rolled the ammo around from booth to booth. It is a little unnerving to hear 1500 people racking slides and going clickety click with triggers all day - regardless of where they are aimed. LOL

It's all good though. Not a single round was fired and nobody was bleeding!

Any dealer worth doing business with will let you leave purchases with them till you leave or hour before show closes. Most will also let you borrow their cart if you leave D/L with them as proof you'll bring it back. Bigger ammo dealers will also bring special order for you if you call it in month or so ahead. I used to stock up once or twice a year.

Business owners can avoid sales tax w/resale license copy. Only 1 big dealer I know of won't do that for you.

Great info @BlackFeather, thank you. I'm thinking I might be able to swing a trip down there during November/December if there's a show worth getting a booth at.

Joe unless you have an Arizona drivers license or Arizona ID card you won't be able to buy any guns anyhow,
so what's the point?

If you find something you really like you can have it shipped to a dealer in your state and complete transfer there. I've been on both sides of such arrangement. Most sellers are willing to do that provided buyer pays for shipping.

If you have an AZ address, friend or family etc.., you can get an ID card pretty easy but I would strongly recommend against doing anything considered "less than legal". If you spend a lot of time in the state but not enough to switch D/L I believe your entitled to one of these. Having a second residence being prime example.

Great info @BlackFeather, thank you. I'm thinking I might be able to swing a trip down there during November/December if there's a show worth getting a booth at.

If your thinking of getting tables for the big SARS show in December book EARLY! At least a few months because they go quick. Check extended weather forecast before taking any of the outdoor tented spaces. Weather is usually very nice that time of year but there was a total deluge one year that flooded everybody. Some years it's pretty cold out there in the mornings also. Of course cold to us Zonies means anything under 50 degs.

I had outdoor tables once and it was really nice. You also get some of the best foot traffic but it's hit or miss depending on weather.

If you find something you really like you can have it shipped to a dealer in your state and complete transfer there. I've been on both sides of such arrangement. Most sellers are willing to do that provided buyer pays for shipping.

If you have an AZ address, friend or family etc.., you can get an ID card pretty easy but I would strongly recommend against doing anything considered "less than legal". If you spend a lot of time in the state but not enough to switch D/L I believe your entitled to one of these. Having a second residence being prime example.

In that case Joe, mebbe you better just stick with www.phoenixbackpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/
and just keep it off the books, so to say

The SARS show is worth seeing, it's the biggest gun show, really more like 2 or 3 shows and people from all over still attend, buyers & sellers

Last Edited:
Joe unless you have an Arizona drivers license or Arizona ID card you won't be able to buy any guns anyhow,
so what's the point?

I'd like to get a table to hand out cards for the website. Won't be buying or selling anything, unfortunately.

If your thinking of getting tables for the big SARS show in December book EARLY! At least a few months because they go quick. Check extended weather forecast before taking any of the outdoor tented spaces. Weather is usually very nice that time of year but there was a total deluge one year that flooded everybody. Some years it's pretty cold out there in the mornings also. Of course cold to us Zonies means anything under 50 degs.

I had outdoor tables once and it was really nice. You also get some of the best foot traffic but it's hit or miss depending on weather.

That's good to know, thanks for the tip! Which show is the SARS show?

I'd like to get a table to hand out cards for the website. Won't be buying or selling anything, unfortunately.

That's good to know, thanks for the tip! Which show is the SARS show?

This year it's Dec. 1-3. Tables (8") are $130ea or $140 for wall location. You get $10 / table discount for paying 15 days in advance. They can provide electricity for extra but it's pretty expensive.
If your just handing out cards you might be able to get outdoor table by itself near the entrance. They do that for NRA, GOA and other "Info Only" vendors. Bring an umbrella if you go that route! For sun or rain.
Regular outdoor tables are under pavilion.

Crossroads phone: 801-544-9125

The Templetons are really nice people in my experience and easy to work with.
You can also book directly through Small Arms Review. If you want tables in their building you HAVE to book through them. Same costs and ticket gets access to both venues. It's sorta 2 shows in 1 kinda deal. Takes place at Arizona State Fairgrounds (both in same compound). Their website:
SarWestShows.com

First year I did a gun show I reserved my tables in the SARS show room--I didn't sell much,
most of the stuff in the SARS room is NFA and nobody was looking for the regular stuff
I was selling in there. The guy in front of me had a Westinghouse electric machine gun,
it was even pre-86 but it cost more than my house so I had to leave it behind. I highly doubt I
could even walk the entire exhibit now, it is that big. Lotsa folks attend all three days, all the best deals
are on the first day--might want to bring some pain pills if you aren't used to a lot of walking, cause
just getting from the parking lot to the front door is a hike, unless you have a handicap placard.

Gosh it would be cool to go to a big gun show in AZ. I bet the pricing is better than what we pay and more to choose from since they have more freedoms when it comes to guns.
Unless you have deep pockets by the time you pay for parking and getting it the door you ain't saving that much. It's more like wanting to see what's there.

Unless you have deep pockets by the time you pay for parking and getting it the door you ain't saving that much. It's more like wanting to see what's there.

This is pretty much how I view gunshows nowadays -- entertainment.

New Resource Reviews

Back Top