JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought 2 of the Savages Hunters Packages that came with the Nikon 3-9x40 scopes. They had $100 rebates, so I ended up paying $325 each. Sold the scopes for $150. I felt like a real a-hole bandit..

I see actions pop up now and then used, but for the little money a complete used rifle costs, it's almost not worth looking and waiting for just the right action size to come along! Wally Wirld was selling them for $359 and had a $50 mail in rebate and I know Bi-Mart discounts them pretty deep now and then.
FInd a El'Cheap-O Savage 111 "Hunter" in .223 and go shoot it, see how it runs and make note, then when you build, you have a reference to see improvement over factory, and Savage know what they are doing! Order up a Douglas or a Pac-Nor (My favorite) barrel with the faster 1/8 twist and chamber done short, and have Velzey finish ream it with his custom Match reamers to Wylde specs! While your having that done, figure out which stock fits your need and want, and order it up as the money trickles in. same with all the other parts!

Can you buy just the Savage action or is it cheaper to buy a rifle and break it down?
I think you can buy them; maybe as a barreled action. If you can buy a barreled action, you just thread the barrel shank about 1/4" farther forward so as to get onto new steel, then cut a close-tolerance chamber to get the cartridge center line closer to co-linear with the center line of the bore. Money saved!

I see actions pop up now and then used, but for the little money a complete used rifle costs, it's almost not worth looking and waiting for just the right action size to come along! Wally Wirld was selling them for $359 and had a $50 mail in rebate and I know Bi-Mart discounts them pretty deep now and then.
FInd a El'Cheap-O Savage 111 "Hunter" in .223 and go shoot it, see how it runs and make note, then when you build, you have a reference to see improvement over factory, and Savage know what they are doing! Order up a Douglas or a Pac-Nor (My favorite) barrel with the faster 1/8 twist and chamber done short, and have Velzey finish ream it with his custom Match reamers to Wylde specs! While your having that done, figure out which stock fits your need and want, and order it up as the money trickles in. same with all the other parts!

Dang shooting it before and after is a great idea!! Never thought about it but would be interesting to do the test and see the difference.

I have a nice pile of these to build from, figured I would get them while I still could!
Currently have a 6.5/06 Wild Cat being machined ( Pac-Nor barrel ) and shipped when it's done, blue printing the action and tuning the trigger, and doing some milling tricks to the receiver to make it a little slicker and improve accuracy! Next is a Claro walnut stock, ( Goint to go pick out some blanks today) and get that party started!
Dumoulin Mauser Action

Dang I would be tempted to go with the rem 700 on that one! I'll have to keep that in mind thanks @nvshooter

20 years ago, I would have said Yes to the Remmy, now its Savage, Remmy has really dropped off the quality, and it is pretty bad, half that "Kit" would end up as floor sweepings, and you would be amazed at the amount of material to remove to true them up! SAD, what used to be a really nice Rifle/Action is now little more then Junk!

Looks like a BSA scope. The rubber around the forward focusing ring looks familiar. I have heard a lot of snooty "scope snob" idiots say bad things about BSA scopes but I have an 8-32X Platinum that's clear, sharp and satisfies my demands quite well. It's all about if the equipment meets your needs, not who says what about it or how much it cost.

Yes it is, it was one of the "Target" models that came out about the time the Sweet 16's and Sweet .22's same out, its a 8X32 and super sharp and clear! I also have a high end Pentax 6X24 Bench Rest scope for this rifle, and while it's superior, the reticle is really hard to see half the times it's so fine! I really should put a Sheppard on it and really see how she runs! LOL

Not until October, to hot.

What would be ideal is to meet up with someone who is into LRS and walk me thru a few things. All new to me.

Do you have a range that you can go to so you can at least get it sighted in and see what she likes to run on? I found out that my Tikka loves 175 grain Sierra match kings. If you can find that out then your life shooting long range will be much better when you start stretching it out.

Do you have a range that you can go to so you can at least get it sighted in and see what she likes to run on? I found out that my Tikka loves 175 grain Sierra match kings. If you can find that out then your life shooting long range will be much better when you start stretching it out.
Not until October, to hot.

Yes, belong to the local range although I haven't been there yet. I believe they had plans for 600 yards but it's 200 now.

200 is all you need brother. If you can get it dialed in at 200 and figure out what she likes then it will make things a lot easier. Get it dialed in and set for 100 and go for accuracy and then move to 200. I had over 100 rounds down range before I even went to 300 at my range. First time out LRS it took me four shots to hit at 1000.

Gotta see how far that FAL can Ring, wanna see if that Barrel is really that frickin good, i'm hoping to reach 1600 Meters cold bore, really shock and awe folks! Be fun to see if the scope can really dial that range, it's supposed to! :cool:
10July2009_fal_leatherwood_mod.jpg

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top