JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So some looser put a bug in my ear and I am thinking of building a bolt action rifle in the future. Might be a good winter project. @DB Wesner this thread is all your fault.

I have never attempted to build a bolt action rifle before and was thinking it would be cool to build a .223 instead of buying one. Since I wouldn't know where to start I'm reaching out to you guys to give me a helping hand. Has anyone ever done this before? If so lets hear it.

@Ura-Ki I'm sure you will have some input.

Please chime in guys want to know your thoughts!!

WELL NOW!
A Savage action would be a great place to start, and you can go up from there, Panda, Surgeon, ect can get you really in deep!
Might troll around for a good OLD Remmy 700 or Ruger M-77 and go from there!

WELL NOW!
A Savage action would be a great place to start, and you can go up from there, Panda, Surgeon, ect can get you really in deep!
Might troll around for a good OLD Remmy 700 or Ruger M-77 and go from there!

So your not buying just the action? Your actually buying a rifle, breaking it down and building off of the action itself?

Depends on What you want to end up with, a Bare action will generally cost more, but can offer lots more options! Like wise, a Complete Rifle can be salvaged for it's action and built from there!
Plan on a Action STARTING at around $400 and going up from there, a top shelf Stiller will set ya back $1500!
A basic Remmy 700 Shorty will start about $375!
A Dumoline Mauser is $395 and long action only!
Barrels are going to start at around $400 and go up from there!
It's not s cheap way into this game, but depending on what you want to build, can be done better then any factory build, and some times less expensive!

Knowing kind of what your after, I would grab a Savage 111 in SHORT action ( doesn't matter caliber) buy the proper bolt face and order up the barrel of choice and go from there! Most of this you can do on your own in your shop! This will be the biggest bang for the buck in a custom build!
Sadly, your going to spend more building then you would on say......................a TIKKA, but, you get exactly what you want, exactly how you want it!

Build something better than 223.
Here's my 6.5 Creedmoor, Savage Donor Action, MDT LSS Chassis, Millet Scope, Rock River Operator Buttstock, Rifle Basix Trigger, Blackhole Weaponry 3R Polygonal Bull Barrel, Hogue Finger Groove Grip, Atlas BiPod and a Benchmark Barrel 3 Port Hunters Brake. All said and done $1850.00

How much do you want to spend? I like CAMPMEAT's choice in using a chassis. Such a decision obviates glas-bedding and pillar-bedding. Savage actions allow you to install and headspace the barrel by yourself. I don't know how wobbly or knocky an AR stock would be on the tube, but it's something I'd consider to be a problem in a target rifle. There might be provision to put an A2 stock on the chassis, which would eliminate any movement.

Howa makes barreled actions that are said to be very high-quality. I have seen the prices; they're not bad at all. There is a chassis to be had that fits the Howa M1500 action. Chassis is around $400. If I was building another rifle, I'd go with the Howa in a chassis. Images below are of the Howa M1500 in short-action to fit any .308-based shell or the .223 Remington.

A Tikka T3 action can be fit into a chassis; chassis is around $400. Tikka rifles are not overly expensive, and they operate as smooth as polished glass.

Bergara makes their BMR or BHR (whatever it is) in .308 Winchester. My friend from high school has one that printed under .200 MOA (from 200 yards) the first time he had it out. He had a used, lower-end Nightforce on it; said the whole rig was just under $1300.

Howa M1500 in chassis.JPG

Howa M1500 right and left.JPG

Last Edited:
Too late to get this one into the previous post. Full-on target rifle from Bergara. On sale, too!

Did you know that Ed Shilen is part of Bergara ?

This is great!! Thanks guys
Build something better than 223.
Here's my 6.5 Creedmoor, Savage Donor Action, MDT LSS Chassis, Millet Scope, Rock River Operator Buttstock, Rifle Basix Trigger, Blackhole Weaponry 3R Polygonal Bull Barrel, Hogue Finger Groove Grip, Atlas BiPod and a Benchmark Barrel 3 Port Hunters Brake. All said and done $1850.00

View attachment 4683

I want a .223 for the challenge and for the fact that it is cheap to shoot. I know that you can't stretch them out as far as a .308 or a creedmore but its a challenge to try.

How much do you want to spend? I like CAMPMEAT's choice in using a chassis. Such a decision obviates glas-bedding and pillar-bedding. Savage actions allow you to install and headspace the barrel by yourself. I don't know how wobbly or knocky an AR stock would be on the tube, but it's something I'd consider to be a problem in a target rifle. There might be provision to put an A2 stock on the chassis, which would eliminate any movement.

Howa makes barreled actions that are said to be very high-quality. I have seen the prices; they're not bad at all. There is a chassis to be had that fits the Howa M1500 action. Chassis is around $400. If I was building another rifle, I'd go with the Howa in a chassis. Images below are of the Howa M1500 in short-action to fit any .308-based shell or the .223 Remington.

A Tikka T3 action can be fit into a chassis; chassis is around $400. Tikka rifles are not overly expensive, and they operate as smooth as polished glass.

Bergara makes their BMR or BHR (whatever it is) in .308 Winchester. My friend from high school has one that printed under .200 MOA (from 200 yards) the first time he had it out. He had a used, lower-end Nightforce on it; said the whole rig was just under $1300.

View attachment 4684

View attachment 4685

I know that Tikka has the smoothest actions out of the box and what I really wanted was the Tikka .223 with a bull barrel so I can thread it and run my suppressor on it. Then someone had to put a hair brained idea in my head to build my own.

This is great!! Thanks guys

I want a .223 for the challenge and for the fact that it is cheap to shoot. I know that you can't stretch them out as far as a .308 or a creedmore but its a challenge to try.

I had a Remington 700 LEO 223, 20 inch Bull Barrel and it was a great gun. Try and find one of those. I paid $400 for it.

I have a 22-250 Remington 700 barreled action for sale. $400 plus all fees on you end.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Prescott Valley, AZ
Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top