JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a new Weatherby Vanguard ... I am seeing conflicting comments re any need barrel break-in procedures ... some are very complex, complicated requiring a lot of ammo and cleaning and some basically say .. don't bother ... just shoot it a bit and then sight it in ?

1. Does anyone have any experience re this question ?
2. If required...does anyone know any dealer in the Phoenix area that will perform a quality barrel break-in ?

Thanks !

As an old military guy, the break-in was important for our sniper weapons when we got the M-21s taken from us and issued bolt guns. Send me an email I will send you a copy of the order issued on the break-in required. I have used it on many rifles and a couple of pistol barrels and it does make a difference.

Ten single shots; clean between each round fired.
Two shots; five times each. Clean after each two-shot group.
Three shots; three times each. Clean after each three-shot group.
Four shots; two times each. Clean after each four-shot group.
Five shots; clean after this last group is fired.

The above encompasses forty-two rounds fired. The first twenty are time-consuming; goes faster once you get to the 3 x 3 line...

I only have a couple rifles that it made any difference at all. But on those two it was a noticable difference. If you are the kind of guy that measures bullet groups with a micrometer, and carefully records every group. You may notice a difference.
I recently bought a coyote rifle, I just eyeball my targets. or measure with a tape measure. With ammo it likes It will make 3/4" groups, and repete that over and over. I am happy with that performance! I am not going to work up a custom load for it, and a coyote won't know the difference!
I see no reason to waste ammo on a breakin ritual for this gun.
But if I were trying to hit ground squirrels at several hundred yards, I would have started with a custom barrel and done the complete breakin. All depends on what you want out of it! DR

My above ritual was for both a Krieger and a Hart barrel that were dam-ned near $600 each. For that much and for how long it took to have them made, I was indeed going to spend four to five hours wearing-out my arm cleaning the bores...

Some people think break-in ends when the barrel stops speeding up which happens with good barrels till about 200 rounds or so.

For me break-in is defined by heavier than normal copper fouling which warrants more cleaning.

First always clean a barrel before shooting it. It is surprising what is in a new barrel.

Second, early rounds in a break-in/cleaning cycle are important ones.
My match barrels from Brux break-in very easy.
1st round takes 40+ patches to get the copper out and by 7-10 shots they usually are fouling much less if at all.

If you don't have the time and money for the traditional methods, you can always try the JB Bore Compound & Kroil method. Just do an internet search and you'll find plenty of how-to info. The pic is a target from a Ruger .270 that I used to have. Broke it in brand new with JB & Kroil (3 rds @ 100 yards) 270sightin.jpg .

Barrel break in has many different theories, some folks claim you don't even need to do it with brand new rifles or pistols,, and I call B.S on that!
There are many different ways to do it, but the BEST is to fire lap it in, fire each compound bullet and clean with a touch of "Ed's Red" ( look it up on line, make it your self) on a clean patch, then fire again! DO this with each compound until you get to the end of the process! Then go out and smoke ( gild) that barrel with 10 rounds rapid fire to get it burnished in, and you should have that barrel as good as it's ever going too get!

Depending on how you intend to use said rifle, you can push things along some if your not looking for a precise shooting rifle, and this will give you plenty of service life with out the lengthy process!

Bring an @11Charlie with you to the range he makes the most excellent shade! :D:p

My humble and belated opine on necessity of breaking in a new barrel is based on its manufacture.
Basically:
If the barrel is bored with broached rifling; its a good Idea.
Bored and button rifling, maybe no if a good factory lapping had taken place.
Hammer forged barrel and rifling, you will likely see little improvement.
That would be my mechanical opinion, however regardless of ones passion or obsession on the subject, I cant help but believe, sending a good many rounds through it will be beneficial for both you and the gun as both of you you loosen up and become one, which will not happen if you lean toward parsimony.
Even a good pair of jeans need breaking in.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top