JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Error
Reviews are disabled for this resource because it is temporarily closed.
Ask question Discuss resource
Just another make work project for someone's brother-in-law and a screwing over of shooters.

If you drive by you will see a fence that likely cost north of $1 mil, surrounding the area. You will see a limited area for shooting tables, you will see handicap parking, parking lots, backstops carved out of the mountain, and you would see that it has been sitting like this for months, closed while the closed the next spot down the road and do work there.

A stupid waste of money in their plan to close all of BLM land to recreational shooting, because they have provided these extremely limited area.

FYI, I filed a FOIA request for all documents pertaining to all of the "ranges" near Lake Pleasant. The first set of documents was a dump that said nothing. I stated that and the department is looking for exactly what I was asking for.

I got an offer to meet the director at the Baldy Mountain range. I said absolutely and have not been contacted with a date and time yet. Nothing but a bunch of crap.

FYI, I filed a FOIA request for all documents pertaining to all of the "ranges" near Lake Pleasant. The first set of documents was a dump that said nothing. I stated that and the department is looking for exactly what I was asking for.

I got an offer to meet the director at the Baldy Mountain range. I said absolutely and have not been contacted with a date and time yet. Nothing but a bunch of crap.
It would be nice to know what is going on. Improvements are nice but not if they are permanently "temporarily" closed.

The major issue for me is they don't come close to satisfying the shooting desires of desert shooters. Baldy mountain has a maximum occupancy of 25 people, and only 10 at the shooting line at a time with 6 targets. Wait until I touch off a 50BMG, I bet the 10 maximum shrinks to 5 in order to give enough spread.

Then there is handling of idiots. How long before the first microwave is thrown out on the range and shot up.... Oh yeah Volunteer range Gestapos.

The major issue for me is they don't come close to satisfying the shooting desires of desert shooters. Baldy mountain has a maximum occupancy of 25 people, and only 10 at the shooting line at a time with 6 targets. Wait until I touch off a 50BMG, I bet the 10 maximum shrinks to 5 in order to give enough spread.

Then there is handling of idiots. How long before the first microwave is thrown out on the range and shot up.... Oh yeah Volunteer range Gestapos.
I agree. I was just commenting on how they go to the trouble of making inadequate facilities and then lock them up so no one can use them.
Maybe I misunderstood what they are doing with "temporarily closed", but I doubt it.

While not all volunteer range help starts out as militant, I can imagine dealing with the idiots day in and day out makes it hard not to adopt an attitude. For some reason old appliances and Tannerite seem to attract the very shallow end of the gene pool. It is a job I don't want.

It gets better. The posted requirements, not be armed, not appear to be a member of BLM and more.
OK, Joe-six-pack comes out with his 24 pack of beer, an old big screen TV, a broken Microwave, two buddies with their girlfriends, goes up to the shooting line, already occupied by 6 people, making it over maximum with Joe's gang, and Joe throws his crap in the range and starts shooting it up.

The RO calls for help. The help will be the BLM rangers, who complain they can't manage the shooting areas that existed before the boondoggle. The three major shooting area out in that area have been managed well by shooters, including clean-ups by volunteers, and warnings to other shooters. With, I estimate millions of rounds expended in that area, there has not been an accident, more than can be said at Ben Avery a world renowned range.

This entire plan spells stupid from the get-go.

Ariz. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 13-3001

Arizona recording law stipulates that it is a one party consent state. In Arizona it is a criminal offense to use any device to record communications whether it's wire, oral or electronic without the consent of at least one person taking part in the communication. Albeit there is a caveat in that recording is allowed to take place if there is no reasonable expectation of privacy such as a public place such as a street or park.

This means that in Arizona, you are legally allowed to record a conversation you participate in, and I recommend you do so.

You may even tell him you are going to record the conversation (Federal Law is one-party consent) I have done it to many alleged bosses for federal prosecution.

Took a ride out to look at the ranges today. The "closed" signs are gone. The signs say ranges open at 7AM. Signs also say under 24x7 surveillance, so we pull up to one of them and the gate is broken open. Well, it's public land, there is no indication to not enter, there is nothing saying closed or no "no trespassing" signs, so we took a stroll. This place is surrounded by a fence that had to cost around $1 million. you guess is it worth it.

The 2 handicap parking spaces are a good 60 yds away from the shooting line, uphill on a gravel path.

20220825_102216.jpg 20220825_102210.jpg 20220825_102104.jpg 20220825_102055.jpg 20220825_102045.jpg 20220825_102031.jpg 20220825_102000.jpg

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

New Resource Reviews

Back Top