JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Started reloading for the .308 Winchester a month ago. i have reloaded about 30 years so I know most of the tricks. I picked up 500 rounds of once fired brass from TCCI here in Phoenix. in case anyone living in the area wants to know this has been where to buy your reloading supplies without turning over your first born. The cost is a little over half what you'll pay anywhere else.

Anyway has anyone ever gotten a sizing die that is just a pain to work. The cases were well lubed and the die set right, the brass is good but just getting it into the die takes an act of God. As soon as it gets past the neck expansion and before it even starts to de-cap the primmer it starts to bind. I have had a couple that I haven't been able to size at all with most having to do 1/4 inch at a time. I load 30/06 and never have I had this problem. The brass is made at the Lake City Ordnance Plant so it isn't the brass. Once de-capped and sized it fall into specs. Has anyone ever gotten hold of a die having this trouble or could it be the weapon that fired the rounds? The brass before sizing at it's base is .468 and at the shoulder .453 to ,460 of an inch.

Have you tried sizing a new piece of brass or one you know came from a different firearm? If I had that much difficulty I might try to exchange it for another die.
TCCI? Never been there, usually buy stuff at BassPro or Sportsman's when I feel like blowing a lot of money, or Brunos when I need to save money and have the time for a long road trip. That's a nice little store.

TCCI is on the South side of Southern about two blocks east of 75th Ave. I looked all over the net and check local dealers and could not find it any were cheaper. 500 cases of .308 once fired brass cost $60 and some change, 500 115 GRAIN FMJ 9mm and 200 .308 FMJBT cost half of what I found at any gun shop. But to answer to your question is no. All the brass I had had already been loaded but it was also a pain to size too. New brass?! I don't think I remember what new brass is. You know how it is here so it will be at least 6 weeks before I go any place with this heat including shooting, well maybe an all nighter.

Have you seen all the NO SHOOTING signs that have been put up on all state trust land? i wrote an e-mail to our governor but that was just a waste of time. You can hunt on the land but don't get caught sighting in the weapon you are hunting with. The woman he put in charge of the land has used it to block the use of other areas. The National Guard depot out on Watson is about 4 acres but she used it to stop all traffic into the White Tanks shooting or not. I get the feeling she is a closet gun grabber. Anyway thanks for the heads up and as soon as I get a chance I'll pick up some new brass.

Started reloading for the .308 Winchester a month ago. i have reloaded about 30 years so I know most of the tricks. I picked up 500 rounds of once fired brass from TCCI here in Phoenix. in case anyone living in the area wants to know this has been where to buy your reloading supplies without turning over your first born. The cost is a little over half what you'll pay anywhere else.

Anyway has anyone ever gotten a sizing die that is just a pain to work. The cases were well lubed and the die set right, the brass is good but just getting it into the die takes an act of God. As soon as it gets past the neck expansion and before it even starts to de-cap the primmer it starts to bind. I have had a couple that I haven't been able to size at all with most having to do 1/4 inch at a time. I load 30/06 and never have I had this problem. The brass is made at the Lake City Ordnance Plant so it isn't the brass. Once de-capped and sized it fall into specs. Has anyone ever gotten hold of a die having this trouble or could it be the weapon that fired the rounds? The brass before sizing at it's base is .468 and at the shoulder .453 to ,460 of an inch.

Sounds like it has been fired in a MG. Generous chambers can make for tough resizing. Try imperial size die wax and maybe borrow another brand of size die to try?
Good Luck! Jim

Try that ruby red One-Shot sizing wax by Hornady. Comes in a 2.25-ounce tin; a tiny amount goes a very long way. I've had my tin since August 2013; still pretty full. I used it to form my mildcat rounds from .375 Ruger Basic (totally cylindrical) brass. I've never gotten a stuck case using that stuff. I now form my mildcat cases from factory-formed .375 Rugers, and still have no problem. A case will stick only at the base datum. I've never had one stick anywhere above that. The One Shot stuff is about ten bucks per tin, and your great-grandson will be using your same tin yarns and yarns from today...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top