JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey everyone. I'll be moving to AZ probably late Jan - early March. I am excited about the opportunity to shoot longer range outdoors than I have been able to do in Washington without driving high up into the mountains. Can anyone tell me where do most go to shoot med to longer distances. 400+ yards outdoors in AZ / outside phoenix?

CaptJack "Mike"

Ben Avery is a public (state owned) range. Anyone can go. You can shoot in the desert as long as there are no fire restrictions and you're away from high traffic areas. I go up by Seven Springs a lot, but I don't shoot past 100 yards.

That is a given. We should make it standard to leave the shooting area better than what it was when we arrive. I do like the wild as you don't have to deal with all the other folks at the range being ready on the line and stopping frequently etc.

CaptJack

Last time I was at Ben Avery they wouldn't let me fire my 1919 on it's tripod, so I put it on the table and leaned on it to fire it--the range officer didn't like it, I explained that the safest way to shoot a 1919 is while mounted on it's tripod but those guys wouldn't hear it.

You
That is a given. We should make it standard to leave the shooting area better than what it was when we arrive. I do like the wild as you don't have to deal with all the other folks at the range being ready on the line and stopping frequently etc.

CaptJack
You are 100% correct about it is a given, if you care.
But we have a lot of "shooters" that leave targets, cartridge's or shells.
We've had places shutdown because of the trash.

It's on my list to check out, At first I thought you said 12000 yards.. lol
CaptJack, Welcome to Arizona... (when you get here) LOL! Your question would more than likely get a more accurate answer if we knew what town/city you will be moving to, I would hate for you to look forward to Ben Avery Range when you live in Tucson or somewhere in the Boonies..

You are correct, and i didn't mention, but right now we are looking at Surprise as our target. And that could change depending on the availability of jobs at COSTCO warehouses in the area.

Thank you for responding.

CaptJack "Mike"

CaptJack, Welcome to Arizona... (when you get here) LOL! Your question would more than likely get a more accurate answer if we knew what town/city you will be moving to, I would hate for you to look forward to Ben Avery Range when you live in Tucson or somewhere in the Boonies..

Surprise is nice. We're just outside of there in Sun City Festival. 55+ community. 55 to buy resale but 45 to buy new. We also have a multi gen section.

You are correct, and i didn't mention, but right now we are looking at Surprise as our target. And that could change depending on the availability of jobs at COSTCO warehouses in the area.

Thank you for responding.

CaptJack "Mike"
Surprise is a nice choice. There is a Brand new Costco there. Seeing that you are on the West side, there are several outdoor shooting areas and Ben Avery, Joe Foss is $5.00 for 2 hours on the rifle range. Hit me up when you get out here and I can show you a good outdoor desert shooting spot.

New Resource Reviews

Back Top