Welcome to Southwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Austrillian outback ammo

Reactions
I have been buying 168 grain Sierra BTHP Matching ammo for my 700 5R custom from Australian Outback. My gun really likes it. At 100 yards, I get better than half inch groups (3 shot) pretty c onsistently and last month my best group was one ragged hole .072 inch over the ..308 caliber size hole. Best part was I found this stuff on line for 70 cents a round which I can't seem to duplicate now. Hope it comes back to what I paid previously. Nice stuff for somebody who doesn't reload. Its claim to fame is their ballistic temperature independent powder that gives it consistent muzzle velocity over a wide temperature range. I have to make very minor adjustments on my scope in either winters cold or summer heat. I recommend highly just leave some in stock for me!

Reactions
Nice stuff for somebody who doesn't reload. Its claim to fame is their ballistic temperature independent powder that gives it consistent muzzle velocity over a wide temperature range.
I recommend you get into reloading. It's not murderously expensive, and you avail yourself to how small changes in your loads will manifest on the target. I think it's Hodgdon that offers powders that are largely insensitive to temperature fluctuations. In my mind, buying ammo is a rip-off. Half the cost of the box is the brass. Commercial ammo is loaded by the volume of the power in the case; handloaded ammo is loaded by the mass of the powder in the case. I'm nowhere near smart enough to be so accused, but I think charging by mass is a better method than charging by volume. Charging by volume is far faster than the alternative, which is why it's done. An intangible benefit of handloading is that it gives you a good feeling when you shoot a small group with ammo you loaded.

Reactions
Not casting disparity on the brand, I have several firearms infatuated with specific ammunition (or hand loads) and refused to perform with the rest. But...
Australian Outback does not have a monopoly on powder stability. Most powders today are very temperature stable. So much so you would need precision testing equipment to discern real differences.
If you are having to make scope adjustments due to the seasonal difference, I would be looking for some other culprit causing your grief and not the ammo.
Good luck with your quest, .7$ a round is rare, maybe even a fluke for match grade ammo, Heck, 14 bucks a box is hard to find for any quality hunting round even in high volume popular calibers.

Reactions
Australian Outback is production overrun from ADI, it's loaded with what's commonly sold as Hodgdon Varget, (ADI 2240 IIRC). It's a pretty good load over-all, and is really similar to my loading for a 175 SMK.

If you can get it, and in quantity I can recommend it. I used to do a lot of work with ADI and GO, and shot quite a bit of this, and other GO imports. We had a streibog in shop before they got popular. Not sure I like it totally, but it's kinda neat.

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Bass Pro Shops - Las Vegas
    4.00 star(s)
    2 pistol and 2 rifle ranges. Not too bad of a layout but they are tight.
    • djthumper
  • Nellis Gun Club
    3.00 star(s)
    Tried to take my Scouts out for Rifle Merit Badge Qualifications and it took a while to make contact with them for when we could go use the range...
    • djthumper
  • Bruno Shooter Supply
    4.00 star(s)
    When I can get there, I never leave without buying something I needs, because they always have something I need!
    • armoredman
  • New Frontier Armory
    5.00 star(s)
    Great store and inventory, they have a lot of items. The staff is always friendly and helpful. This place gets really busy and you have to take a...
    • djthumper
  • Las Vegas Shooting Center
    5.00 star(s)
    Lots of room to get around in the store. The range looked nicely lit. Friendly staff.
    • djthumper

ONLINE NOW