JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I picked up one of those Arken SH6-24x50 optics a short while ago. I am continuing my upgrade path, and some of my lesser rifles needed new optics, so I was looking for something kinda big and fancy to put on my .308 and push my PA 4-14 ARC2 MOA down a notch. I just can't afford a $1000 scope, and really wanted to be in the ~$500 range. Over-all, I'm really happy with how it came out. A few quick notes: This optic is heavy, like nightforce heavy. The eyebox feels a bit tight, but that's to be expected at the higher magnifications. Only the center cross=hairs are illuminated (not the full reticle), I'll take it out and shoot it in low light and see how it performs soon.

IMG_20220330_171034810_HDR.jpg IMG_20220507_130844517_HDR.jpg Rifle Kit Light.jpg

I have the Centerpoint 8-24 on several rifles. Just over a C-note. no problems for several years. Mueller also makes good value scopes.( target200 yds.) Flyer was me.

a savage tactical.JPG .308 H-380.JPG

I have the Centerpoint 8-24 on several rifles. Just over a C-note; no problems for several years.

View attachment 18928 View attachment 18930
I have two 30mm Chinese scopes that are 10-40x; I'm not of such eagle eyes that I can see the chromatic aberration nor any other dings that some would say make for a "cheap Chinese scope." I have a 35mm 6-25x56mm Millett that my 64 year-old eyes cannot tell me it's a piece of crap or not. People who have never looked through one might tell you that, but I usually ignore those with big mouths and no experience regarding about what they speak. I bought the Millett so as to get a large barrel that would allow for really jacking-up the elevation. If memory serves, the Millett offers either 70 or 100 moa of vertical adjustment. Problem is, I have no rifle that can use scopes of such power. I gave my 1000-yard target rifle away to a buddy from high school; all I have now are .223Rem rifles and those don't need really high-magnification scopes. I have the receiver for a 6.5mm wildcat, but have done nothing with it for almost two years. The 6.5mm I estimate to cost $3500 to build, and another $3600 or so for a Nightforce scope. I work so much I have to ask myself, "Do I really need to build this rifle?" I have not launched a .223Rem round for a year. Maybe not...

Generally my requirements an an optic these days:

Christmas-Tree reticle, illuminated, with a big objective.

Went out on friday night and got some more trigger time in, moon wasn't coming up until midnight, and probably wouldn't have made much difference until about 3-4AM. We were pretty dead by 11. It was also fairly cold and there felt like the threat of snow. Kinda unusual for may in the desert.

I have the Centerpoint 8-24 on several rifles. Just over a C-note. no problems for several years. Mueller also makes good value scopes.( target200 yds.) Flyer was me.

View attachment 18928 View attachment 18930
It looks good anyways. Biggest issue I've had with a lot of budget optics are the light gathering and exit pupil get really wonky at higher power. and they don't hold zero well enough, or if you dial them, it may take several shots for the adjustment to finalize, like the erector is still moving around to the new position. But hey, if you got something cheap that works, its better than nothing at all. It's good looking rifle, what's the make/model?

I have two 30mm Chinese scopes that are 10-40x; I'm not of such eagle eyes that I can see the chromatic aberration nor any other dings that some would say make for a "cheap Chinese scope." I have a 35mm 6-25x56mm Millett that my 64 year-old eyes cannot tell me it's a piece of crap or not. People who have never looked through one might tell you that, but I usually ignore those with big mouths and no experience regarding about what they speak. I bought the Millett so as to get a large barrel that would allow for really jacking-up the elevation. If memory serves, the Millett offers either 70 or 100 moa of vertical adjustment. Problem is, I have no rifle that can use scopes of such power. I gave my 1000-yard target rifle away to a buddy from high school; all I have now are .223Rem rifles and those don't need really high-magnification scopes. I have the receiver for a 6.5mm wildcat, but have done nothing with it for almost two years. The 6.5mm I estimate to cost $3500 to build, and another $3600 or so for a Nightforce scope. I work so much I have to ask myself, "Do I really need to build this rifle?" I have not launched a .223Rem round for a year. Maybe not...
I've been buying a lot of these speer 168gr BTHP's, they shoot really well, and I'm getting 'em for less than $.30 each. The powder to load it is a bit more than 5.56, and I have fewer primers than I'd like, but the bullets are cheaper than what I can find in terms of match bullets for 5.56, so ...

I have a Savage 10FP-LE, and I also have a mossberg MVP predator in 5.56, I should take the mossberg out again sometime soon. I've mostly been scratching my 600/1000 yard itch with the .308. The 5.56 is still technically cheaper to shoot, but I can't touch targets at that range for less than the .308 ammo.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top