JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since I can't post in AOSA thread I'll [post here. Anybody have a good LR area in or near Buckeye. Moving there in Nov. Sun City Festival. Also looking for shooting partners in SCF.

Thanks

BW

Only places I know of are sycamore creek and south of maricopa city over in vikol valley just north of table top mountain. I'm not sure if four peaks is open for shooting anymore. And Bushnell tanks has been closed for years. All are east valley though. I hope you find a good spot

I read somewhere that the city of Buckeye was considering opening one or more shooting areas in the near future. The old one (I believe near Miller road- never shot there so I can't say how that was) was closed a while ago due to an accidental death due to a stray bullet, and because people were constantly shooting up a Cox cable junction causing the cable and internet to go out for a lot of people.

Does anyone have any updates on this?

The 300-yard range a bit east of Carson City is finally going to re-open in several more months. It's been closed for quite a while because someone complained about stray rounds ending-up in the open-pit mine really close to the range. The place was pretty nice: No fees, no RSOs, no fences, no gates, seven days a week from sunrise to sunset and covered benches. It's about an hour from me so I never went there very often; it's just nice to know the place will be operational again after so long a time closed and inaccessible. We have plenty of desert around here, but none of it has covered benches...

The General Joe Foss Shooting Complex is located in the Buckeye Hills Regional Park, just five (5) miles south of Buckeye, Arizona.
Yep visited there last week. Really nice place, people & rate but 200 yard max?????? Not everyone shoots pistol or 22 rifle. Come on!!! With thousands of acres of BLKM land they can only spare 200 yards???? BLM building 5 new ranges & only 1 has 500 yards & it's 2 hours away!!!

BW

There are other long distance places in Phoenix, I adhered to the SW part of town.
Ben Avery on the NW side of town, hell it is on the way to Camp Verde, it has a 500 yard range. Desert SharpShooters are doing a practice match at 1000 today. My favorite when I lived there was Usery Pass which is way east. They would let me shoot at 3 and 400 yrd back then. It was never busy and a lot of the time my 7 mag was the only rifle on the range.
Long distance shooting and close to town does not really fit into today's world. Ben Avery has something like 1600 acres, and has been there forever. Well at least 40 years.

You can only use the 1000 at BA if you go with a club & then you can't shoot your own targets. Has to be their paper & you have to pull targets. Much prefer my own steel. I don't need to be close to town just within reason. 2 hour drive is not reason to me. Takes all the fun out of it when you get there. Thank you for the reply.

BW

I lived in Clark county for 19 years & I wouldn't pay good money to go there & be abused by some jackwad ro!! I prefer BRPC setup. Joe Foss is nice just a little short for me since I like to stretch it to 1000.

BW

Yeah it's tough but keep trying. I moved to Az but kept my membership. I figure $75 a year won't break me. LOL Besides I still go back once a month for the long range varmint match on the second Sat. then hit Gilleys that night. Satisfies 2 loves of mine. lol

BW

Not safely. I want a well known spot where I don't have to worry about shooting an off roader or hiker. Being new to the area I won't just go pick a spot & set up. Not safe. I went through this when I moved to Vegas but it only took a week or so to make friends & start shooting again. Seems like very clam mouthed here in Az.

BW

Finding a shooting spot and keeping one close to town is really tough. I was out with my AR10 looking for coyotes, in my favorite spot. Found some and was beginning to draw down when I notice a couple of calves. Did not realize anyone would put cattle in here. I lowered my gun and tried to move for a clean shot and the prey disappeared. We sat on the tailgate with a beverage and up drives a pickup. Seems the rancher was watching us. This is public leased land. We gave him a drink and he said he did not mind us because we always cleaned up and were considerate. We thanked him and we went our own ways. There is now a locked steel cable across the entry. Wish I knew where he lived so I could maybe get a key. I have gotten so I will not get my long distance stuff out unless I am going to a range or hunting. I want to remain in that unseen majority of shooting sport members.

I want to remain in that unseen majority of shooting sport members.
A most intelligent strategery. It's the nutcases and gangbangers who make being a firearms owner a tough row to hoe. One of them batsards commits a heinous crime, and it's we who get new and asinine laws shoved up our assets. What ever happened to personal responsibility and punishment for the crimes you committed? Liberalism, that's what happened. Liberalism transfers the responsibilty for what a man does onto what he used to do it. "I was just standing there, talking to my wife, when the whiskey bottle reared-up over my head and smashed itself down onto my wife's head. I dindu 'nuffin..."

Last Edited:
I lived in Clark county for 19 years ...
In what County do you live now? I live in Lyon County, tight up against I-80. Maybe we can meet and go shoot on the vast & open land just a few miles from my house. I have a bunch of oldsters with who I meet and exchange bullschumer stories about how small were my latest groups. We all lie about how good a shot we are...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top