JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Arizona unveiled a new driver's manual that includes tips on how armed drivers could avoid deadly encounters with police.

The Grand Canyon state, which allows residents to carry weapons without permits, changed its driving rule book after the fatal police shooting Philando Castile. The Minnesota man, who had a gun permit, was fatally shot during a 2016 traffic stop after telling an officer he was armed and then reaching for his wallet.

Arizona is one of the few states that has a manual letting drivers know what to expect during a traffic stop.

Arizona driver's manual offers tips on how to avoid getting shot by police

If a guy immediately states he has a permit or even says he has a gun, he's not doing so to threaten or surprise anybody. He views himself as one of the "good" guys and is just informing the LEO. But face it, some LEOs are less than enthused about interactions with other armed people, and some people are absolute idiots. At least when you present a permit - he knows you had a background check. Just do it s l o w l y .

"if you inform the officer you are armed, he is very likely to freak the f-- out and shoot you in front of your wife and child"

The Castile shooting was bad business... I definitely think having a "what to expect during a traffic stop" is a positive step, however it seems we have an epidemic of cops, who are supposed to be trained, losing their cool and killing people who they wrongly perceive as threats, Castile, and that other woman who was recently shot. (papers give like 5 different names, I'm completely confused) are the prime examples of this behavior, and it's statistically likely there are many others.

I also think the ACLU might have a point.

"if you inform the officer you are armed, he is very likely to freak the f-- out and shoot you in front of your wife and child"

The Castile shooting was bad business... I definitely think having a "what to expect during a traffic stop" is a positive step, however it seems we have an epidemic of cops, who are supposed to be trained, losing their cool and killing people who they wrongly perceive as threats, Castile, and that other woman who was recently shot. (papers give like 5 different names, I'm completely confused) are the prime examples of this behavior, and it's statistically likely there are many others.

I also think the ACLU might have a point.

I see youre from Georgia, have you had any experiences here such as you mention?

I've had plenty of interaction with local LEOs on the shoulder of the road.....
I can tell you that a CCW smooths this interaction quite a bit, and takes a whole bunch of the stress level out of the equation for both parties. I had lots of "interactions" BEFORE getting CCW while carrying, but you had to be plenty careful about how you informed the officers. Just don't roll the window down and scream "I GOTTA GUN" when they come walking up to the door.

DO anything you can to diffuse the situation, even if you DID screw up while driving. Accept the fact that they have a job to do and sign the ticket like an adult. LOL

I see youre from Georgia, have you had any experiences here such as you mention?

I grew up in southern california, moved to WA for a short while, lived in TX, work in GA, and spend a lot of time in NV/AZ.

I've had some over-reaction from cops in the past, muni-cops are the most prone to be a-holes and do dumb stuff, and I've had them draw guns on me more than once. I would attribute at least some of this to bad tactics on their part, as more than one time I thought someone was breaking into the house, and I responded with a firearm myself, and it ended up being the cops snooping around for something.

I've actually had very limited engagement with police in GA, most of my contact has been professional due to my job (gun/ammo developer, and trainer). I travel just about everywhere by car, I don't get pulled over too much (big white dude in an older jeep, which doesn't really go fast).

As a trainer, I sometimes am called out to teach LE how to use various weapon systems. Less than Lethal, Gas, etc. I realize much of what I see there informs my opinions about police, in that more of them do not take training seriously enough, when you combine this with bad TTPs, ineffective training, and then throw in some attitude problems, it's a recipe for people getting killed.

I don't like to tar police as "bad", however I'm also firm in my commitment to a zero defects, and I look at cops killing people under these circumstances as serious defects in policing, and I refuse to tolerate them.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top