JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK guys school me please. To obtain a AZ concealed carry permit what do I need to do?

I know I have to fill out the application and submit finger prints but do I need to take a class? What is the easiest way to go about all this?

Does it help that I have my Washington permit?

Here is the link to the application: https://www.azdps.gov/sites/default/files/media/07202 - CCW Permit Application - 6-29-2020 - Fillable.pdf

Here is the link to the CCW page: Concealed Weapons and Permits | Arizona Department of Public Safety

Here is a question that was asked on the permit site:

I AM MOVING TO ARIZONA; IS MY CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT FROM MY FORMER STATE OF RESIDENCE TRANSFERABLE?

No, however you may be able to use it as proof of firearms competence when applying for an Arizona permit. Contact the permit unit for additional information.

If they won't take your existing permit for proof, there are people who offer the class for $49.99, which will include them helping you with the fingerprint cards. They hand out 'cards' at my local gun shop for this site: CCW Classes in Phoenix AZ | Concealed Carry Classes

It looks like they offer a class at the Ben Avery range in North Phoenix.

Here is the link to the application: https://www.azdps.gov/sites/default/files/media/07202 - CCW Permit Application - 6-29-2020 - Fillable.pdf

Here is the link to the CCW page: Concealed Weapons and Permits | Arizona Department of Public Safety

Here is a question that was asked on the permit site:

I AM MOVING TO ARIZONA; IS MY CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT FROM MY FORMER STATE OF RESIDENCE TRANSFERABLE?

No, however you may be able to use it as proof of firearms competence when applying for an Arizona permit. Contact the permit unit for additional information.

If they won't take your existing permit for proof, there are people who offer the class for $49.99, which will include them helping you with the fingerprint cards. They hand out 'cards' at my local gun shop for this site: CCW Classes in Phoenix AZ | Concealed Carry Classes

It looks like they offer a class at the Ben Avery range in North Phoenix.

Thank you. I will check it all out.

Here is another one that my local gun shop recommends. You can use the code AG10 for 10% off if you need to take the class.

Last Edited:
What otherwise restricted areas are we talking about?

If you want to carry concealed in a restaurant or bar (places that serve alcohol) and they allow it, you need to have your CCW permit. There are a couple of other exceptions, but I can't seem to locate them (our legislature really needs to go back to law writing class).

School area's are one that I can think of. If I get pulled over in a school zone its a no no with out the permit. With the permit I can walk the grounds and carry.

Incorrect. You are not permitted to walk around a school campus while carrying - even if you have a CCW. The only time it is allowed is if you happen to be involved in say a firearm safety class approved by the principal (or otherwise have prior approval). The only thing you are allowed to do is have your firearm on your person and remain in your vehicle. If you need to get out of your vehicle, the firearm needs to be unloaded and hidden in the locked vehicle.

As far as having a firearm on you while driving close to a school, no one enforces that - the feds even backed off of it I believe. They can not hassle you for legally carrying your firearm while driving by a school. If they actually enforced something like that, no one who lived within 1,000 feet of a school would be allowed to have firearms in their homes or leave in their vehicles with them.

Incorrect. You are not permitted to walk around a school campus while carrying - even if you have a CCW. The only time it is allowed is if you happen to be involved in say a firearm safety class approved by the principal (or otherwise have prior approval). The only thing you are allowed to do is have your firearm on your person and remain in your vehicle. If you need to get out of your vehicle, the firearm needs to be unloaded and hidden in the locked vehicle.

As far as having a firearm on you while driving close to a school, no one enforces that - the feds even backed off of it I believe. They can not hassle you for legally carrying your firearm while driving by a school. If they actually enforced something like that, no one who lived within 1,000 feet of a school would be allowed to have firearms in their homes or leave in their vehicles with them.

Well PHUCK remind me not to trust that source anymore!!! :confused:

I took a class from a trainer here in Tucson. He basically went over the law and the consequences of using your weapon. It was more of a question and answer session of 3 hours. (no shooting due to experience) I learned a lot about Arizona specific issues. IE if they post no firearms even with a CCW the weapon is not allowed. My Dr's office is the only place I go that does. I know your in the Valley but if you want to do a class down here I can forward you his information. I am sure there are competent folk up there as well.
Good luck with the finger prints I had to resubmit mine.

Thank you. I will check it all out.
Are you a U.S. Military Veteran? If so, with (and even without) your prior training certificate, and using your DD214 you only have to send in the application form with two fingerprint cards and the 60.00 fee. Contact me for more information if you qualify.
Phil Whitehead
Owner, T.B.N. Mobile Fingerprinting
MP Veteran Custom Firearms
Prescott Valley AZ
928-237-0073

Are you a U.S. Military Veteran? If so, with (and even without) your prior training certificate, and using your DD214 you only have to send in the application form with two fingerprint cards and the 60.00 fee. Contact me for more information if you qualify.
Phil Whitehead
Owner, T.B.N. Mobile Fingerprinting
MP Veteran Custom Firearms
Prescott Valley AZ
928-237-0073
I am I just need to find my DD214. Moving sucks and only thing I can find right now is my guns and the safe. I'll let you know when I find it.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top