JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
An AR-type rifle cannot be converted to a pistol because it was originally manufactured as a rifle. I built a pistol, but I used a lower receiver that had never-before been assembled and transferred on the Form 4473 as having a specific caliber. The one I did buy was transferred as having "Multi" as its caliber at the time of sale. The "Multi" caliber designation allows the stripped lower to be assembled as a pistol. You cannot use the buffer tube from a carbine because it has provision to attach a buttstock. I used the "cheekweld system" available from KAK Industries. Might have been from Thordsen; I do not remember. The tube is smooth and uses a beveled cheekpiece that attaches with screws and uses friction to keep it in place. It works really well. I have a picture or two of the one I built. I will look for them and post them when I find them...

EDIT: I had a Windows corruption a while back and lost a ton of stuff. I have looked for the pictures of my pistol build, but I cannot find them. I built the pistol in the summer of 2016; the corruption was after that. I have to assume the pictures are gone. My pistol had an eleven-inch barrel on it, which is legal because the buffer tube could not accept a carbine buttstock and the receiver was never configured as a rifle with a barrel of sixteen inches or more in length. A pistol cannot have a forward grip on it that allows for too much purchase by the weak hand. I used a Nightstrike Viper grip that had a small amount of protrusion to it, which did not allow for it to be gripped like you'd grip the protruding pistol grip of an AR-type rifle.

Nightstrike Viper Angled Foregrip

Read this: Considering Building an AR-15 Pistol? Here's the 411

It was a Thordsen Customs cheek rest system: Cheek Rest Kits - AR Pistol | Thordsen Customs. I used the Standard system because I don't like the bulkiness of the QD sockets on both sides of the buffer tube.

Last Edited:
Thanks for the reply: nvshooter

I'm sorry to hear about your computer corruption; I hope it's fixable.

Yes, I am also using the KAK Shockwave arm-brace "sharkfin" set up. I just recently purchased is a Palmetto State Armory dedicated 9mm complete lower from their Black Friday sale. It hasn't arrived at my FFL dealer yet. The complete lower comes with a mil-spec collapsable stock on it, but it is only the lower half. I plan to connect that with my CMMG 7" upper. Perhaps I should SBR the lower?

The complete lower comes with a mil-spec collapsable stock on it...
That makes it a rifle. It was sold as a rifle. It cannot be converted by the simple addition of the particular parts to reclassify it to be a pistol. It can be made into an SBR, which will cost $200 and take about a year to get the tax stamp. You cannot configure the lower as an SBR (attach to it an upper with a barrel of less than sixteen inches) until you get the tax stamp from the ATF. The law is clear on all of this stuff. Just abide the laws and stay cool with ATF. They can get really ugly if you cross them...

. . . a year-wait for the tax stamp is better than attorney fees or years in prison.
It may not take an entire year. There was a backlog but ATF put extra examiners on the payroll, and I've heard it can get down to less than nine months. Next time you're in a place that deals in Class III stuff, ask them what's the turnaround on the tax stamps. You might be surprised...

The AR-type pistol about which I wrote. Lower receiver is a 7076-T6 forging; purchased stripped. "Multi" caliber, so it could be built as a rifle or as a pistol. Front sight base is some Chinese thing sportin' just a Picatinny rail. The actual sight is some more Chinese product. Handguard is a Mission First Tactical two-piece drop-in for carbine barrels; fits KeyMod accessories. Trigger guard is from Flagaway; costs about five bucks. Grip is from ATI; it's their recoil-absorbing Scorpion model. The buffer tube and cheekrest system is by Thordsen Customs. Thordsen calls their tubes SuperTube. The tube comes in three lengths; I sort o' remember this is the middle-length tube. Notice the cheekrest has no QD sockets on either side. I think they make the thing too wide and allow for snags on clothing, et cetera. Mil-spec trigger group. M-16 bolt carrier group. Eleven-inch heavy barrel; A2 birdcage muzzle device. Removable carrying handle reveals a Picatinny top rail. It took me about six weeks to gather all the parts; I assembled it in a few hours. The muzzle blast will blow your toupee off. I never got around to measuring the muzzle velocity with GI ball ammo. I've got around $1400 in this piece. It's a fun gun, and I like it. I'll never sell it...

AR-15 handgun.JPG

Might have Yankee Hill Machine EZ-Pull takedown pins (I love those!), but I can't see it well enough to say for certain. Nightstrike Viper front handstop. Notice the angle is very shallow, allows it to be there without it actually being a "front grip." If it were long enough and vertical vertical enough to grip it you'd have an AOW, which is still a Class III weapon and requires a $5 tax stamp-- which also takes nine to twelve months to acquire...

Last Edited:
EF9CFC0F-6667-4EC4-AAB0-B4E6706F7AB4.jpeg C0BB21E8-CEA5-4D65-8FEA-2849C03874AD.jpeg That's a pretty cool set up you got there. I've always like YHM gas blocks.
Well, I currently have an AR-15 out for sale to fund two SBR tax stamps. I also would like a suppressor in the near future as well. Moving out of California really got me acting like a kid again.
Here is my current AR pistol that I built from CNCing an 80% lower. Much like you, it took me a little while to piece everything together. But it's done. And soon, I can throw a stock on it; once the tax stamp is approve.
The upper receiver is from Aero Precision with their CMV 4150 1:7" x 11.5" barrel, "got it on sale, both for $200.00". I got a buddy in CA that use to sell SLR rifleworks product, so the 11" M-LOK handguard and adjustable low profile gas block is from SLR. The carrier is a WMD polished BCG with a BCM gunfighter charging handle. Magpul flip up sights, and a YHM phantom flash hider, the optics is a Trijicon RMR mounted on a ADM QD base. I currently removed the RMR and installed it on my Glock 17. The lower is a Tactical Machine 80% CNCed with colt specs. Also got a JP Enterprise adjustable single stage trigger group, Magpul K grip, and a complete KAK arm brace buffer system. The gun shoots awesome with 62gr loads. It kinda costed me a pretty penny but worth it IMO. I have plans to run some tactical courses with it as soon as that tax stamp is done.
My other tax stamp rifle will be a PSA 9mm SBR. Can't wait to finish up everything and go plinking.

I like your handguard and the muzzle device. Your build-up looks to me like it would drive liberals to fill their britches. Anytime a liberal soils himself, that's a good thing. Looks to me like you need an oversized magazine release. Easy to put on; around twenty bucks. Your little thang looks very evil and menacing. Liberals aghast. I'd say Mission Accomplished...

I think everyone should own at least two AR pistols. I have one in 9mm building one in 300 blk as we speak. The AR-9 is just a fun little range toy but damn accurate and would work well in any home defense situation as well.

I've got an AR15-ish pistol, an Extar EP9 9mm. I say 'ish' cause it's only partially compatible, but I love it.

A 300 blackout pistol is on my build list for the future :D

Love the AR format and I've built both Rifle in 5.56 & pistol in 300 BO. I think the 300 BO works better for pistols or SBR because I've read it only needs 10.5 inches on barrel to get to full speed w no loss of velocity. My 300 makes a great truck gun.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top