JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got my tooling for the jig the other day, so now I just have to wait for the jig. Brownells says it should be in stock towards the end of the month. I got a trigger guard in the mail today, and I got an anti-rotation locking cam pin set for the trigger/hammer (it was on sale for less than 50% of the original cost, so I figured what the heck). I also got my charge handle the other day.

I think I have settled on the Holosun HE510C-GR Elite optic - I just have to see if my local gun shop that I normally use will give it to me at a good price.

So you can use a common high-speed router (usually used on wood or plastic) to mill-out these chunks of aluminum? I would have never guessed. A man I know has done three on a vertical mill. Says it takes about three hours to do the first one. You learn so much doing the first one, you get through the subsequent ones in about two hours each. I do not have the facility nor the connections to do one, so I must stick to buying my lowers at FFL dealers...

So you can use a common high-speed router (usually used on wood or plastic) to mill-out these chunks of aluminum? I would have never guessed. A man I know has done three on a vertical mill. Says it takes about three hours to do the first one. You learn so much doing the first one, you get through the subsequent ones in about two hours each. I do not have the facility nor the connections to do one, so I must stick to buying my lowers at FFL dealers...

I can bust out a lower start to finish in about 45 minutes with the 5D Tactical jig.... less if I wanted to really rush it.

Still waiting on my jig - now they say it should ship mid month. What type of cutting oil have you used with the Easy Jig or the 5D Tactical jig?? They say you can use WD-40, but I really don't like that stuff. Is there anything that would be better?? Will regular cutting oil mess with the cerakote on my lower?? Let me know.

Still waiting on my jig - now they say it should ship mid month. What type of cutting oil have you used with the Easy Jig or the 5D Tactical jig?? They say you can use WD-40, but I really don't like that stuff. Is there anything that would be better?? Will regular cutting oil mess with the cerakote on my lower?? Let me know.
You can use pretty much any cutting fluid you like, some are better ( safer on finishes) then others! Napa auto parts sells a spray can cutting fluid that is pretty good, kind of messy, but if you put a water heater pan under your work area, that helps out!
I have used Automatic trans fluid with a spray bottle, also works well! The trick is to keep the tool bit cool and clear of chips!
Compressed air and a vacuum cleaner really help as well!

I did some more research and found a product that several people really like to use when machining their lowers. It is called Tap Magic - I picked up a bottle from Grainger this morning. There is another product called Boelube, which was developed by Boeing specifically for machining aluminum, but I would have to order it.

Not a chance. I am still waiting on my jig. I did, however, order another 80% lower. I think I will machine that one first, before I do the one that is cerakoted.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top