JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Check out the 5D tactical jig. I own it and it is super easy to use. Currently have 5 built that way. They also have a very informative video to watch and walk you through the use of the jig.

You won't be sorry. If you have any questions let em rip.

The 5D Tactical jig all the way!! It's as close to full-proof as home machining can get. ;)

2974 2975

I have the older Easy Jig, and yes, it works very well! That said, I would get the 5D if I was just starting out! Way better design and easier to set up and make or cuts! Tools are also faster to get from them when ( and You will ) need them! The 5D wasn't out yet when I started, so thats why I have the set up I have!

The Easy Jig 2 is actually being touted as being a little easier to use than the 5D Tactical jig. 5D Tactical is out of the Gen 2 jig right now. I will do a little more research and then make a decision.

I have the original Easy Jig and have used it to mill out a few lowers, and it works well, mostly. I believe the issues I had were mostly user error, but just to share, the first couple I did I was using my full size, high speed router and I pressed tightly against the walls of the top plate and the router bit carved into the plate a little bit deforming it, so I had to replace that part. Fortunately you can buy individual pieces of the kit so it only cost me around $30. I have since bought an adjustable speed laminate router so that should work much better.

The other issue I had was on the first one, I drilled the FCG holes on one side using the side plate template, then turned the assembly over and did the same on the other side, and apparently the holes are not aligned on both side plates because when I put the FCG pins in they were cockeyed. Since then I have just drilled straight through both sides of the lower from one side plate template and as long as the plate is level and perpendicular with the drill bit, the holes will be aligned.

I have 2 more lowers I need to finish milling out, but I'm sure after learning from those 2 mistakes the jig will work perfectly. I haven't tried the 5D so I can't comment on that.

I just back ordered the Easy Jig Gen 2 from Brownells. They had the lowest price and I found a coupon code good for another $20 off. Then I went to 80% Arms and ordered the Gen 2 tool kit and the drill guides. So, I just need to wait for Brownells to get the Jig in stock, then it will be on its way. Now I just have to find a used DeWalt DWP611 router for a reasonable price (it is one of the recommended routers to use, at least from 5D Tactical).

I just got my upper and handguard today. They aren't as bright white as the lower, so I am hoping that they will look okay together. The upper/handguard were supposed to be from Verifoce Tactical, but they are actually from Guntec. Fingers crossed that they are good products and will do the job.

The upper/handguard were supposed to be from Verifoce Tactical, but they are actually from Guntec. Fingers crossed that they are good products and will do the job.

I put a Guntec rail on my lightweight AR15 build. Fit and finish are ok and I'm happy with it considering what I paid for it.

Congrats to you for going down the rabbit hole...
I too have the 5D jig, a gen 1 & love it.
Like you, I did a tremendous amount of research because I dislike the "Doghhh, I should've got that one" syndrome of remorse buying.
I do not have plans to paint or ceracoat any of my lowers.

Good luck with your future builds. 3070 3071 3072

Congrats to you for going down the rabbit hole...
I too have the 5D jig, a gen 1 & love it.
Like you, I did a tremendous amount of research because I dislike the "Doghhh, I should've got that one" syndrome of remorse buying.
I do not have plans to paint or ceracoat any of my lowers.

Good luck with your future builds.View attachment 3070View attachment 3071View attachment 3072

I gave the Birchwood Casey Aluminum-Black a try on mine--Even though I carefully cleaned everything the color is patchy at best. A friend loves the instant 'weathered appearance' but I think it looks cr@ppy. I have also tried a black marker on the insides, which is marginally better
than simply ignoring it :s0013:

I have been trying to find a DeWalt DWP611 router, because it is the top recommended one for this. I finally found one at a pawn shop, but they had it priced at $129 - only $10 less than brand new. Today I got a coupon in the mail from Lowe's for $20 off a purchase of $100 or more. So, away I went and purchased a brand new DWP611 for $119 + tax - $128 total. Only $28 more than the pawn shop and I get the full 3 year DeWalt warranty.

Now I just have to wait for Brownells to get the Easy Jig Gen 2 in stock so that they can ship it to me. I got my upper/hand guard the other day, and I already have my barrel, trigger, and stock. I just need the small parts (pins, screws, gas block, tube, etc.), then I will be ready to go.

I have been trying to find a DeWalt DWP611 router, because it is the top recommended one for this. I finally found one at a pawn shop, but they had it priced at $129 - only $10 less than brand new. Today I got a coupon in the mail from Lowe's for $20 off a purchase of $100 or more. So, away I went and purchased a brand new DWP611 for $119 + tax - $128 total. Only $28 more than the pawn shop and I get the full 3 year DeWalt warranty.

Now I just have to wait for Brownells to get the Easy Jig Gen 2 in stock so that they can ship it to me. I got my upper/hand guard the other day, and I already have my barrel, trigger, and stock. I just need the small parts (pins, screws, gas block, tube, etc.), then I will be ready to go.

I got the Makita as a gift from my daughter and SIL or I'd had that Dewalt.
The light is what I like about that model although the Makita is super easy to adjust & it stays put.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top