JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had a red dot on this rifle for some time and finally decided to replace it, though that dot will probably go on a AR pistol I wish to make. Replaced it with a Truglo 1-6x24 scope a buddy in the army suggested to me. I've never had experience zeroing these and have no idea how to do it. Tbh, most of my experience is with my Glock 19 and that's almost all basic other than how to draw, shoot, and clean.

We could even meet at Ben Avery when it cools down a bit, if interested.

Welcome to the forum. Welcome to the journey into optics. Like the images, your world will turn upside down on occasion.

The Tru Glo 1-6 power scope adjusts like most optical devices with a reticle,
The top knob will raise or lower the point of impact and the right side knob will adjust the windage of the point of impact.
It is important to understand that to make the bullet rise or go right for instance, the reticle is actually moving in the opposite direction so the barrel will be pointed closer to the desired point of impact.

If you want the bullet to come up, the reticle goes lower and when you bring it up so comes the barrel.
you can read all about how scopes are measuring ARC whether in mildots or Minutes of Angle. You don't have to really grasp that just yet.

A scope with 1-6x power is probably best zeroed at 100 yards, however that is your choice.

The process for determining how to adjust the scope can start with trial and error at short range then move farther away and recheck.

Being a semi Auto, it is harder to peak down the barrel of your AR and then through the scope the way you can with a bolt action rifle.
I find a chamber laser will really simplify this process and let you get on paper quickly.

I just received one of these in the mail:

Great company and they have an armorers wrench on sale for $6ish. If you aren't quite familiar with Hunter Select, you can find these at amazon.

Don't expect the laser to work in daylight at the range. They are only useful in shaded areas, indoors, and at close range till you are able to "spot the dot"

I like to get the windage adjusted with a laser which simplifies the adjustment at the range.

Another thing to think about is your scope is above the barrel and since Light travels fairly straight compared to the bullet which travels in an ARC,
you are going to need to have the scope angled down a small amount. You can use the scope turrets to put the reticle on the dot from the laser then at the range adjust the reticles to zero at other distances.

Using a cleaning cradle or other type of rest to help hold the rifle while you are adjusting the scope will simplify your life.

Welcome to the forum. Welcome to the journey into optics. Like the images, your world will turn upside down on occasion.

The Tru Glo 1-6 power scope adjusts like most optical devices with a reticle,
The top knob will raise or lower the point of impact and the right side knob will adjust the windage of the point of impact.
It is important to understand that to make the bullet rise or go right for instance, the reticle is actually moving in the opposite direction so the barrel will be pointed closer to the desired point of impact.

If you want the bullet to come up, the reticle goes lower and when you bring it up so comes the barrel.
you can read all about how scopes are measuring ARC whether in mildots or Minutes of Angle. You don't have to really grasp that just yet.

A scope with 1-6x power is probably best zeroed at 100 yards, however that is your choice.

The process for determining how to adjust the scope can start with trial and error at short range then move farther away and recheck.

Being a semi Auto, it is harder to peak down the barrel of your AR and then through the scope the way you can with a bolt action rifle.
I find a chamber laser will really simplify this process and let you get on paper quickly.

I just received one of these in the mail:

Great company and they have an armorers wrench on sale for $6ish. If you aren't quite familiar with Hunter Select, you can find these at amazon.

Don't expect the laser to work in daylight at the range. They are only useful in shaded areas, indoors, and at close range till you are able to "spot the dot"

I like to get the windage adjusted with a laser which simplifies the adjustment at the range.

Another thing to think about is your scope is above the barrel and since Light travels fairly straight compared to the bullet which travels in an ARC,
you are going to need to have the scope angled down a small amount. You can use the scope turrets to put the reticle on the dot from the laser then at the range adjust the reticles to zero at other distances.

Using a cleaning cradle or other type of rest to help hold the rifle while you are adjusting the scope will simplify your life.
This is some great information, thank you so much. I figure I'll do 100 yds and work up from there, I read the Truglo is good for 800yds.

I've never bought a scope good enough to stay sighted beyond maybe half a dozen shots. That's just one drawback for me being such a cheap batsard. I owned a $1000 Vortex once, but gave it to a friend from high school-- along with two wildcat rifles totaling about $13,000 for both. The rifles used .375Ruger Basic brass (or factory-formed brass) which has been unavailable for several years, so he hasn't much fired them.

My next rifle will be a 6.5mm target machine that will use a Nightforce tipping the scales at around $3600. I don't remember the designation of the scope, just the price-- which is several hundred bucks above the cost of the completed rifle. It's so nice to not be married and to not have kids...

I've had a red dot on this rifle for some time and finally decided to replace it, though that dot will probably go on a AR pistol I wish to make. Replaced it with a Truglo 1-6x24 scope a buddy in the army suggested to me. I've never had experience zeroing these and have no idea how to do it. Tbh, most of my experience is with my Glock 19 and that's almost all basic other than how to draw, shoot, and clean.

If help is still needed swing by elite ordnance manufacturing 3217 e shea

If help is still needed swing by elite ordnance manufacturing 3217 e shea blvd phoenix 85028 we can bore sight it
To get you close and show you how to dial it in the range

One small piece of advise I haven't seen mentioned here is to zero at the highest magnification. Might be obvious but no one told me that when I first started getting into putting scopes on things haha. It's more obvious with scope that goes down to 1x, but less so with ones with higher minimum magnification.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Prescott Valley, AZ
Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top