Any CA gun law savvy dudes wanna write up a info thread?

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by coctailer, Jan 22, 2012.

1. coctailer

coctailer
    West coast
    Stay classy San Diego

It would be handy to have a tacked thread containing CA gun regs. I think this question will be coming up a lot.

2. CFletch

CFletch
    California

For NFA stuff the short story is that SBR, SBS, and AOW are OK as long as they are C&R eligible and not "assault weapons" (which many are). Machine guns and DDs are technically legal, but are at the sole discretion of the DOJ, so only a few well-connected and highly regulated companies (that rent to the entertainment industry) can have them.​
    For anything more specific, a good lawyer with some serious CA gun-law experience is going to have to get in on this.​

3. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Portland, OR
    Moderator Staff Member

Now I'm curious as to which guns fall into the SBR/SBS/AOW and C&R category :D

4. CFletch

CFletch
    California

I've seen some nice SBR C&Rs, mostly pistol/buttstock setups (Broom-handle Mausers, Lugers, and some Colt SAAs, and one really sweet Browning High Power) and a few SBS coach guns. That's about as exotic as it gets here without crossing the grey line of legality.

Now illegal NFA toys I've seen a lot of. My dad was a bomb-tech back when he was active, so he got sent in to all the "arsenals" to make sure any explosive goodies were disposed of. Mostly militant anti-government types. I remember one call he went to had a stockpile of LAW rockets and .30 cal machineguns (M60s IIRC). Cool pictures.

Then there was the group that tried to blow up Suburban Propane in '99, which would have leveled a 3mi radius (and that was the conservative estimate) and been the biggest terrorism attack in US history by a long shot. That's a big DD.

5. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Portland, OR
    Moderator Staff Member

Rockets? Geez. Makes you wonder what's really available on the black market.

6. Squidgie

Squidgie
    Utah

...anything you want.