JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm an American, living in England . We're not allowed handguns or semi-auto rifles here, and it's not easy to get a license for a .22 or shotgun if you're not a farmer.
When I visit a nephew in Idaho I get to shoot his AR15 and Glock 40. When he returns the visit he can shoot my air rifle but it's not nearly so much fun.

Nothing else interesting about me, at least not for gun-lovers. I am deeply worried about the direction the USA seems to be going in ... what was considered
clinically insane the day before yesterday becomes tolerated yesterday, normal today, and will probably be made compulsory tomorrow. I don't see that
changing and it bothers me a lot. The existence of a strong sane America is critical for the survival as free people of us over on this side of the Atlantic.

The existence of a strong, sane America is critical for the survival as free people of us over on this side of the Atlantic.
The Criminal Left does not want a strong and sane America. They want this country to be runneth over with weak, spineless, gutless snowflakes whose first remedy for any problem is to have the federal government come riding to the rescue with gobs of money and light-years of strings attached to it.

They who despise Individual Liberty seek a nation of milquetoasts and helpless supplicants because that level of humanity is far easier to control than is a nation of men with backbones, independent minds and firm resolve. That type of American built this nation. That type of American is now vilified for doing what made the United States the greatest nation God ever put on the face of the Earth. You have to wonder how this ever happened. It began in the middle 1960s with those unruly longhairs making a ton of trouble at university campuses across the nation. Those same problem children are now in positions of power in American business and government. They have burrowed themselves into the body of America like does a tick into the flesh of a dog. I'm no genius, so I can offer no solutions. I'm just happy to have no dependents to whom I'll leaving this country.

The Criminal Left does not want a strong and sane America. They want this country to be runneth over with weak, spineless, gutless snowflakes whose first remedy for any problem is to have the federal government come riding to the rescue with gobs of money and light-years of strings attached to it.

They who despise Individual Liberty seek a nation of milquetoasts and helpless supplicants because that level of humanity is far easier to control than is a nation of men with backbones, independent minds and firm resolve. That type of American built this nation. That type of American is now vilified for doing what made the United States the greatest nation God ever put on the face of the Earth. You have to wonder how this ever happened. It began in the middle 1960s with those unruly longhairs making a ton of trouble at university campuses across the nation. Those same problem children are now in positions of power in American business and government. They have burrowed themselves into the body of America like does a tick into the flesh of a dog. I'm no genius, so I can offer no solutions. I'm just happy to have no dependents to whom I'll leaving this country.
You've hit the nail on the head. If you would like, I can put up my own extended analysis of how we got here, which is basically just an elaboration of yours. I lived through that period -- confession: I was one of those long-hairs and know their psychology pretty well -- and am also a student of history, and it's horrifying/fascinating to watch the US starting to undergo the disintegrative processes that have led to the destruction of other countries.

It's a sad state of affairs when a government will not trust the People of that nation with firearms. Of what is the government afraid? People are generally good the world over. There are those who aren't but for those relatively few, we have laws that dispense punishment for the crimes committed. It's an insult to me to be told by my government that I must surrender my firearms to the modern-day Schutzstaffel of Chucky Bullschumer, that idiot Michael Bloomberg and the rest of the filth who prefer tyranny over Liberty because there have been several atrocities committed of late by young men who've never felt a belt across their bare assets for their misbehaviors as they grew up. No punishment as a child will result in an adult who does not abide the morés and customs of a polite society. Parental punishment for the unacceptable behavior of their progeny became a thing of the past in the middle 1980s. It's been thirty-some years now that kids have been running wild, and just look to where it's taken us.

I never really knew before now how very much Joe BiteMe looks like King George III...

Colion Noir is a lawyer. He knows very well about what he's speaking.

Joe BiteMe makes me want to puke...

I couldn't watch Howard1955's video for longer than two minutes. I was saddened to see a People lose what for them is a privilege, and incensed to see the bureaucrat morons cling to the repeatedly-failed idiocy of gun control. I doubt Monty Python could dream-up a sketch offering more absurdity...

The UK urbanized earlier than the US. It workingclass has no tradition of hunting -- they fish. 'Shoots' are for the wealthy or well-off, hunting stags in Scotland or pheasants and grouse in a controlled situation on someone's farm (my wife's son owns a farm where this happens). They haven't had a draft since the 1950s, and there is not the tradition of military service that there is in the US, so fewer young men have even seen a gun 'in the flesh' so to speak.

Up until 1920 you could own anything and carry it concealed. But at the end of WWI, and after the Bolshevik Revolution, Europe's ruling classes feared a proletarian revolt. So in Britain in 1920 they passed a law making it difficult to own a gun, to keep them out of the hands of leftwing workers. (Irony!!)

Handguns were banned completely after a massacre a few decades ago (Google 'Hungerford Massacre'). The police don't normally carry guns, and, until recently, the English 'criminal community' would turn in any of their number who acquired a gun to use in a robbery. They are sometimes used here, but almost always to settle business disputes among criminals.

Knife crime is rampant, but among the usual suspects. I think London has about half the murder rate of New York City, where the murder rate has fallen greatly over the years., although there have been brief periods where London's murder rate exceeded New York's, for that period. It's surprising to me that the number of murders committed with knives is actually so high, compared to those committed with a gun. You would think the killing power of a gun would be twenty or thirty times that of a knife -- but it's only twice or three times that.

The culture is different here, that's the key thing. And it is a cultural thing -- back in the 19th Century when you could carry a revolver under your coat ... well, in 1898 there were 328 recorded homicides, and then, after very strict gun control, in 1998 there were 750. You -- or a gun-controller -- might say that increase was due to population growth, what about the rate? Well the population was 38 million then and 58 million in 1998. So homicides increased by a bit more than twice, (two and a quarter times as many), while population increased by only one and a half times.

So statistics would seem to say, if you want to reduce the homicide rate in Britain, bring back concealed carry.

However, if I suggested that at a British dinner party, someone would call Social 'Services and I would be committed.

So statistics would seem to say if you want to reduce the homicide rate in Britain, bring back concealed carry. However, if I suggested that at a British dinner party, someone would call Social Services and I would be committed.
Great post. A lot upon which to comment, but those last two lines are golden. You as well as I know that increased numbers of concealed defensive weapons reduces crime.

Great post. A lot upon which to comment, but those last two lines are golden. You as well as I know that increased numbers of concealed defensive weapons reduces crime.
Had to stop writing the above post because a bud came over and we got into 2½ hours of low-level gunsmithing on an AR-type rifle. So, back to where we were...

You as well as I know that increased numbers of concealed defensive weapons in the hands of citizens reduces crime. This is because those who would perpetrate a crime against a common citizen do not know that his intended target is armed or is not armed. Better to pass on the middle-aged woman than have her pull a gat and add drainage holes to my abdomen. Still, there are those who take the chance. It's for those that we need concealed weapons. The tyrants that be do not want the average citizen carrying concealed because if he does, it's a short jump in the addled minds of the law that a violent criminal is also going to carry. You'd have to be doubly brain-damaged to not assume that criminals are already carrying concealed weapons. The only lost children who do not believe that are the dimbulbs who write the laws to which every law-abiding man will adhere. Because our laws intellectually apply equally to all citizens, our elected officials write laws that are supposedly designed to cover all applications. In other words, government writes "one size fits all" laws. But everyone is different, so no single law can cover every instance. Because writing a thousand different laws for a thousand different people is rather difficult, laws are written to address violent crime and the law-abiding get caught-up in statutes that limit their Freedom while the criminal element remains unaffected.

I copied this from a fellow on Northwest Firearems.

"Okay, you have our guns, now what? Does gang violence, school shootings, homicide, poaching, police shootings, etc all go away? Of course not."

Of course, that leaves out the whole "tyranny and/or invasion" part of the discussion.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top