JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It't pretty common to see the bolt get loose, and other parts end up wearing loose over time! Probably need to have a competent Smith go through it and replace or restore every thing as needed! That's what I would recommend. Might also upgrade the bolt, depending on what's installed, I usually install a TRW round bolt when rebuilding the M1 Carbine series! These tend to take up more potential slop and they run a little smother too!
Thanks for the info , my wallet just got $200 lighter

joe, have you ck'd s/n to ascertain date of manufacture as well as who actually built the carbine?

originally these m1 carbines were initally built mid/late '40s and recompiled for use during the Korean conflict and sometimes the pieces being utilized were not even 'compatible' with the m1.

ck the cites in post 2 and see it those provide some insight and bkgnd for you.

What about the M1 Garand " Tanker"? 55C4BEF2-6C56-44FC-9E4D-E22D5C58F4E3.jpeg

Joe Link: Belated congratulations! Very good rifles with a very few faults. A great battle-rifle of it's day and still useful today. I sold mine to get something else that seemed more important at the time... I make do with an FN49 to scratch that particular niche-itch.

Nothing like shooting a piece of history! It reminds me why I shoot. Mine is a CMP from many years ago and I don't know it's history. The barrel , receiver and stock are original 1945 and the internals are correctly numbered to a 1945 rifle. As far as learning about Garrands you will be almost overwhelmed with info. Enjoy your new rifle. I'm sure your venture into military surplus will be a fun and expensive!

322.jpg 325.jpg

Is it hard to get an M1? If so, why? Bazillions of them came back, some not in so nice a condition as others... but they did come back. If the steel can have any rust or scratches repaired and the wood replaced, you can have a pretty dam-ned nice reincarnation of what went to war. You'd just have to come to grips with the idea that what you have is not 100% new and as-issued. What you do have is something with a heroic story behind it, even though you may never know that story.

An eighteen or nineteen year-old kid from a farm in Iowa took that rifle to Europe and helped to put an end to the most evil of tyrannies the world has ever seen. That alone is heroism that dam-ned few men can claim...

Is it hard to get an M1? If so, why? Bazillions of them came back, some not in so nice a condition as others... but they did come back. If the steel can have any rust or scratches repaired and the wood replaced, you can have a pretty dam-ned nice reincarnation of what went to war. You'd just have to come to grips with the idea that what you have is not 100% new and as-issued. What you do have is something with a heroic story behind it, even though you may never know that story.

An eighteen or nineteen year-old kid from a farm in Iowa took that rifle to Europe and helped to put an end to the most evil of tyrannies the world has ever seen. That alone is heroism that dam-ned few men can claim...
Most of the WWII Garrands were put back into arsenals and not available to the public for years. Many were lend leased to allied countries like the Philippines. After the adoption of the M14 the Garrands were sold as surplus. Yes their was a large quantity of Garrands for a while but like all military surplus the amount of available guns becomes depleted. You can expect to spend around 1,000.00 to 1,500.00 for a nice example to shoot. 1,500.00 and above for a collector grade rifle. Gun broker has a lot of Garrands for sale, gun shows usually have some for sale but they want to much for them as most are mix masters.

Please be sure to post your first Garand thumb WHEN (not if) it occurs!
The rifle was tested before it was adopted for service, so why was a locking system for the bolt never designed into the mechanism? Certainly one or two of the testers had to have their thumbs bitten by the bolt.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top