JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been wanting one of these for a very long time, probably 10 years or better. For whatever reason other firearms always came first. I finally decided enough was enough and pulled the trigger on this beauty :D

I know next to nothing about Garand's, but I'm really looking forward to learning!

image_uploaded_from_ios.jpg 47AF014A-4CB1-47CE-8E94-BE5A85DA3183.jpeg 417D4865-77E9-46FF-B1CE-B10FB33F6646.jpeg C42FE186-1DD4-470B-AE91-558752D25FA0.jpeg

It was originally a CMP gun, but I bought it from the second owner. What's a pedigree in the context of M1's? :D

Thanks for the links!

Sweet, She will serve you well! Feed her well, and care for her with loving hands! Americas Greatest achievement in the face of world domination, The single most important implement of war ever devised by man, second only to J.M. Browning's 1911, the very tools of freedom our Grand Fathers, and Fathers won against staggering odds!
Never ever sell a Garand! Something you will always regret, and if you ever complain about it being heavy, remember, My Grand Dad packed one all across Europe and would have called any one who complained about it a Pussy!

Seriously, @Joelink nice score! Now stock up on clips and good ammo, and enjoy! That's one to keep and pass on to the Grand Kids!

er, while not wishing to be presumptuous...please before firing...assure an olde gunsmith validates the serviceability of the firearm since there could have been many 'form, fit, function' derivations w/multiple part substitutions & many non-properly trained individuals making those substitutions and making parts 'fit' so someone would 'buy' your new treasure!

i truly do not wish to be a party pooper either but...

I will say, I had to opportunity to run and gun with a Garand and found it to be just about perfection for a fighting rifle! It did have a few draw backs we don't really recogise in today' arms, but once you understand the Garand and it's requirements, it' a very simple rifle, extremely reliable, and so very accurate in the hands of a rifleman! I would proudly carry one if I ever had to, despite any flaws the design has. About the only complaint I ever had, (and discussed at great length with my GrandDad) was the 8 round clips, and the non adjustable gas system!

Now go out and get yer self M-1 Thumb, join the brother hood of the Thumb! Not, watch some YouTube videos of how to load it one handed, and it will save your thumb, but you won' have that tell tail cool manly scar! Lol

er, while not wishing to be presumptuous...please before firing...assure an olde gunsmith validates the serviceability of the firearm since there could have been many 'form, fit, function' derivations w/multiple part substitutions & many non-properly trained individuals making those substitutions and making parts 'fit' so someone would 'buy' your new treasure!

i truly do not wish to be a party pooper either but...

Good call!

I will say, I had to opportunity to run and gun with a Garand and found it to be just about perfection for a fighting rifle! It did have a few draw backs we don't really recogise in today' arms, but once you understand the Garand and it's requirements, it' a very simple rifle, extremely reliable, and so very accurate in the hands of a rifleman! I would proudly carry one if I ever had to, despite any flaws the design has. About the only complaint I ever had, (and discussed at great length with my GrandDad) was the 8 round clips, and the non adjustable gas system!

Now go out and get yer self M-1 Thumb, join the brother hood of the Thumb! Not, watch some YouTube videos of how to load it one handed, and it will save your thumb, but you won' have that tell tail cool manly scar! Lol

I can't wait to shoot it! If I could ever afford the ammo I'd love to shoot an Appleseed course with it.

Good call!

I can't wait to shoot it! If I could ever afford the ammo I'd love to shoot an Appleseed course with it.
Man, an Apple Seed with a Garand would be a hoot! Lemme know if you wanna go for it, I'll bring ya a bunch of M1 Garand match ammo!
When I get back to OryGun, a few of us are going to be doing some long range shooting, your welcome to join us, be a perfect rifle to learn with, and you get to see just how good a Garand really is! Might even let you talk me into teaching you the old school Maunal Of Arms with a Garand, make the Apple Seed even more fun for ya!

Man, an Apple Seed with a Garand would be a hoot! Lemme know if you wanna go for it, I'll bring ya a bunch of M1 Garand match ammo!
When I get back to OryGun, a few of us are going to be doing some long range shooting, your welcome to join us, be a perfect rifle to learn with, and you get to see just how good a Garand really is! Might even let you talk me into teaching you the old school Maunal Of Arms with a Garand, make the Apple Seed even more fun for ya!

That sounds fantastic! Don't forget to let me know when you get back :D

appleseed would be quite pricey using a M1...from What is the course of fire at an Appleseed shoot?
quote henseman:
The 25m AQT we use has simulated distance targets that are the same size in your sight picture as man-sized targets at the actual distances.

Stage 1: One simulated 100 yard target, one mag, 10 rounds, 2 minutes, firing from standing.

Stage 2: Two simulated 200 yard targets; mags of 2 and 8, 5 and 5 in the targets, 55 seconds, start standing, shoot seated or kneeling.

Stage 3: Three simulated 300 yard targets, mags of 2 and 8, 3 3 4 in the targets, 65 seconds, start standing, shoot prone.

Stage 4: Four simulated 400 yard targets, one mag, 10 rounds, 2 2 3 3 in the targets, 5 minutes, shoot prone (this stage counts double).

To score Expert and get the Rifleman's patch, you need to score 210 or higher.

You can also qualify on the full distance AQT at ranges where we shoot it... we use a true man-sized target at each distance. The COF is the same, except that there is only one target at each distance, so no target transitions are required.

Sometimes we also do a 100 yard AQT where we fire at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards on an appropriately-sized target... you can qualify on this as well. This allows .22 shooters to experience just about the same amount of trajectory compensation that is required for a center fire rifle on the full 400 yard AQT.
unquote

plus practice rounds!
appleseed target cite: Refine your skills with these downloadable targets

That's still cheaper then a Service Rifle Match! Those can see upwards of 1000 in a single weekend! Even back when we were still almost exclusivey bolt action, it wasn' uncommon to shoot through 600 rounds in two days! No matter how you look at it, it' going to cost! I say do the Apple Seed even with a .22 first, then take what you learn on up to the big bangers! Then come out to a Service Rifle match and let her rip!

if playing w/22 only (no 17 rim nor no > 8mm) assure you and the rifle are shooting perfectly; and scope (eh) or peeps are sighted properly, which is done first before my original statement is correct!

Last Edited:
Sweet, She will serve you well! Feed her well, and care for her with loving hands! Americas Greatest achievement in the face of world domination, The single most important implement of war ever devised by man, second only to J.M. Browning's 1911, the very tools of freedom our Grand Fathers, and Fathers won against staggering odds!
Never ever sell a Garand! Something you will always regret, and if you ever complain about it being heavy, remember, My Grand Dad packed one all across Europe and would have called any one who complained about it a Pussy!

Seriously, @Joelink nice score! Now stock up on clips and good ammo, and enjoy! That's one to keep and pass on to the Grand Kids!

bubbleguming-A, Hoowray! bubblegum anyone who feels otherwise!

appleseed would be quite pricey using a M1...from What is the course of fire at an Appleseed shoot?

Yeah it would! They recommend 400 rounds. I'm not sure what surplus 30-06 is going for but even at $0.50/round that's $200 in ammo.

That's still cheaper then a Service Rifle Match! Those can see upwards of 1000 in a single weekend! Even back when we were still almost exclusivey bolt action, it wasn' uncommon to shoot through 600 rounds in two days! No matter how you look at it, it' going to cost! I say do the Apple Seed even with a .22 first, then take what you learn on up to the big bangers! Then come out to a Service Rifle match and let her rip!

I've never heard of the Service Rifle Match, what is it?

I got my Rifleman patch at the last one with my 10/22 :)

btw...i'm mad now you brought up appleseed...checking dates now to go again...sigh

Hah! I try to go every chance I can. It's great to keep those skills fresh, and you won't find a better deal on a weekend of training.

btw...i'm mad now you brought up appleseed...checking dates now to go again...sigh

now i am going twice...b-i-l wants to try an event...see what you guys did...forced me to have to spend weekends not doing honeyy-dooos ~ I am soooo mad at you guys for making me do this!! ;):D

20160701_210249.jpg Speaking of m1's , I have a lower end m1 carbine that my dad bought right after I was born . I have always loved it , don't know why I just have . Well it's mine now and the action seems really loose/sloppy , I have shot it and taken completely apart ,cleaned and polished and put back together but it's still sloppy and I have trouble with it ,ftf, fte you know .
Does anyone have experience with these ? Like I said it is a lower end model but I did grow up with this gun and it would be nice if I could fix this one instead of buying another one.

It't pretty common to see the bolt get loose, and other parts end up wearing loose over time! Probably need to have a competent Smith go through it and replace or restore every thing as needed! That's what I would recommend. Might also upgrade the bolt, depending on what's installed, I usually install a TRW round bolt when rebuilding the M1 Carbine series! These tend to take up more potential slop and they run a little smother too!

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top