JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kershaw! Almost any of them are fantastic. I've carried probably 10-15 of their knives and keep coming back to the leek. It is by far my favorite. Check them out.

I used to live near where they were manufactured in Oregon. They are stand up people and have a fantastic warranty. It's one of the few companies I truly enjoy supporting.

Kershaw! Almost any of them are fantastic. I've carried probably 10-15 of their knives and keep coming back to the leek. It is by far my favorite. Check them out.

I used to live near where they were manufactured in Oregon. They are stand up people and have a fantastic warranty. It's one of the few companies I truly enjoy supporting.
I've actually narrowed it down between Kershaw Leek and Benchmade Mini Griptillian. It's not a huge purchase, but I'm one of those guys that likes to settle on a product before I lay out the cash.

I prefer Benchmade, SOG, Gerber, ZT. Those brands that I'm familiar with. Sogzilla is what I carry everyday for box cutting and I have the KBAR TDI for defense.

It took me a year but I've finally managed to lose both of my Kershaw OSO Sweets. This is exactly why my EDC knives are cheap. I learned my lesson after losing two Benchmades :(

Need to pick up something else now :D

I edc a Kershaw Blur, tonto! I like them so well that I keep a back up at home!

IMG_0812.PNG

In your opinion how do they compare?
I really like the Benchmade for everyday carry and jobs, but I carry the Kershaw when I am going into more dangerous areas and want a longer blade. The fact that I can send in my griptilian to benchmade and they wil sharpen it for me and replace broken parts takes the cake for the benchmade. They stand directly behind their products. Managed to break a blade and the clip on my grip, contacted them, they said "send it in". I sent it in with 2 day shipping, got it back 5 days later, fixed the day they got it, sent the same day with 2 day shipping. 100% worth the money.

I really like the Benchmade for everyday carry and jobs, but I carry the Kershaw when I am going into more dangerous areas and want a longer blade. The fact that I can send in my griptilian to benchmade and they wil sharpen it for me and replace broken parts takes the cake for the benchmade. They stand directly behind their products. Managed to break a blade and the clip on my grip, contacted them, they said "send it in". I sent it in with 2 day shipping, got it back 5 days later, fixed the day they got it, sent the same day with 2 day shipping. 100% worth the money.

Ive never tried the Benchmade warranty out but Kershaw's is incredible. When I lived up there I used to walk in with a few damaged knives (some from misuse and factory seconds xxxx even) and would walk out 5 minutes later with brand new replacement knives. I try to support them anytime I can. Awesome friendly people.

It's too bad I've never had either of those brands long enough to test their warranties. I need GPS for my knives :(

Joe, my pocket clip edc is a MechTech MA 1036GN-SO Ballistic "USMC licensed". I got this on sale "$25-marked down to $14.00" at a local big-box sporting goods store... It seems built heck-for-strong and if I lose or break it, well that would be annoying but not cry-over territory. I tend to lose or break pocket clips so that's my solution.
That said I carry a pouch-carry lock-back, either a Buck 110 or a NICE Gerber made in USA back in the day lockback with stag handles and drop-point blade. My preference for aesthetic reasons is the Gerber tho I THINK the old Buck standby is stronger. The Gerber may be better steel, not sure.
So this may be some kind of Freudian thing but if I have my pants on I have four folders on... the above AND a Swiss Army "Officier" which I got mainly for the scissors, saw-blade, and "roach-clip" tweezers. The two blades take a razor edge and that knife is just useful as heck. Sometimes it rides in a belt pouch for convenience sake.
One folder always with me is an old Spyderco "Native" made in Golden years ago of CPMS30V. I positively love that little blade and intend to get a stainless neckchain so it can ride around my neck. Not the most convenient carry and has some drawbacks but like I said I like that blade.. takes a good edge and holds in better than most stainless blades.
OK so I wandered off the topic a bit, no doubt to the consternation of some, alas. Old farts will wander on and not all who wander are lost...

Joe, my pocket clip edc is a MechTech MA 1036GN-SO Ballistic "USMC licensed". I got this on sale "$25-marked down to $14.00" at a local big-box sporting goods store... It seems built heck-for-strong and if I lose or break it, well that would be annoying but not cry-over territory. I tend to lose or break pocket clips so that's my solution.
That said I carry a pouch-carry lock-back, either a Buck 110 or a NICE Gerber made in USA back in the day lockback with stag handles and drop-point blade. My preference for aesthetic reasons is the Gerber tho I THINK the old Buck standby is stronger. The Gerber may be better steel, not sure.
So this may be some kind of Freudian thing but if I have my pants on I have four folders on... the above AND a Swiss Army "Officier" which I got mainly for the scissors, saw-blade, and "roach-clip" tweezers. The two blades take a razor edge and that knife is just useful as heck. Sometimes it rides in a belt pouch for convenience sake.
One folder always with me is an old Spyderco "Native" made in Golden years ago of CPMS30V. I positively love that little blade and intend to get a stainless neckchain so it can ride around my neck. Not the most convenient carry and has some drawbacks but like I said I like that blade.. takes a good edge and holds in better than most stainless blades.
OK so I wandered off the topic a bit, no doubt to the consternation of some, alas. Old farts will wander on and not all who wander are lost...

Lots of good info, thanks!

Ive never tried the Benchmade warranty out but Kershaw's is incredible. When I lived up there I used to walk in with a few damaged knives (some from misuse and factory seconds xxxx even) and would walk out 5 minutes later with brand new replacement knives. I try to support them anytime I can. Awesome friendly people.

I am pretty sure the factory seconds from Kershaw don't carry a warranty. ZT makes a good rugged knife, Benchmade's are overrated for the price they charge the F&F and blade steel is lacking in most of there knifes. I carry a Shirogorov of course it is quite a bit more than the $100 limit the OP imposed. Spyderco makes a decent blade as well. Knives are tools to me and I am not wealthy enough to buy cheap tools.

I fix that by forgetting how well my expensive knives performed :s0112:

I love my ~$20 Kershaws. Once I stop losing them maybe I'll upgrade but I'm on my second one this year :confused:

I've been carrying the Gerber Air Ranger for about the last ~2 years or so, 'cept mine's green.

Gerber Air Ranger Black - Folding - G-10 Handle Knife | Gerber Gear

Great knife, keeps a good edge despite rough use cutting boxes, I think in this time I've only sharpened it maybe 3 times or so, despite it seeing almost daily use. It got lost in my car for a little while and a $10 Camillus folder I picked up at walmart stood in, that's also been a pretty good little knife as well, however the blade chipped when I was using it to pry some stuff. I don't like the camillus as much as the gerber, but I don't look down my nose at it either.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top