JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Saw a tango take a hit in his foot from a 7.62X51; round went clear up his leg, blew out his knee, kept going where it blew through his hip, and finally exited though his shoulder after shattering all the bones in it!
Good Lord! That sounds absolutely gruesome. I'm feelin' that as I read it. If I saw that, I'd start wearing women's clothing in the ranks. Oh, wait. Corporal Klinger already tried that...

The idea behind the 5.56mm cartridge was to wound the enemy soldier, not to kill him. A wounded soldier requires two, three or four of his buddies to run out there and drag him back to safety. The rescuing soldiers cannot be firing at you if they're carrying a comrade. The reduction in fire may allow our boys to gain some ground or a higher point to attack. The wounded soldier has to be taken to a field hospital, which is really a drain on the resources of the enemy. The wounded soldier eventually recovers and may be sent home where his compatriots will see his wounds and maybe think twice about wanting to go to war with the United States or her allies. Maybe not because those who would go to war with us do not consider the sentiments of the population. Imagine a fanatical dictator listening to the concerns of his countrymen about going or not going to war with the US. Most likely not going to happen...
Problem is, it never worked out that way! The last 60 years, we have been fighting against unorganized enemies who dont usually even know each other, and thus have little vested! Most times these fights are little more then gorrilla skirmishes and hit and run raids, and no one bothers to tend the wounded on their side, basically, you fall in combat, it is the will of Allah ( blessings be upon him) that your death was glorious, as you sit there watching your innards leak out!
The M-16 was an absolute failure when measured under those terms, and 60 years worth should have clued some one in on those facts! But, the mil. will always keep doing the same thing the same way until some one sticks his neck out and forces a change! Thanks Robert McNamara!

Last Edited:
Good Lord! That sounds absolutely gruesome. I'm feelin' that as I read it. If I saw that, I'd start wearing women's clothing in the ranks. Oh, wait. Corporal Klinger already tried that...
Combat aint pretty, any one operating under those delusions will quickly learn the truth! Men die, often in pieces and alone in a puddle of their own making, crying to God or their mommas! Combat is meant to kill, wound, or other wise remove an enemies resistance and ability to fight, and it is absolutely brutal! Combat changes a Man, makes him harden him self against every threat, it closes you off to emotions, and it changes your view of the world and your place in it! Combat isnt a Hollywood movie, the smells alone will haunt you the rest of your life!

He had a lot of good ideas, but no common sense!
His FX fighter project was a good idea, but the wrong services, the F-14 was a glorious waste of a good airplane, wasted on the NAVY who didn't want it, and the F-15 was ham strung by politics! In short, the F-15 should have been the F-16, the F-16 should never have been used as it was/is, and the F-14 should have been used by the Air Force in the F-15's role! The F-111 was a great airplane that got buggerd through out it's service and never fully developed as it could have been! The Navy could/ should have gone with the F-18 across the board as it does now, and all would have been great had that happened!

Military procurement has always been 1/3 military use and 2/3 political string-pulling.
Yep. Every small business that has the ability to do something for the military wants to be a part of the cash that flies around when a defense contract is let. What's the old saying-- "The finest equipment the lowest bidder can produce and still make a profit?"

Like the Destroyer X program, or the Littoral Combat Ship program, both miserable failures, and yet they want to keep building more and more of them! Dad told them 15 years ago it was a bad idea, they didn't wanna hear what one of their most senior Captains had to say and went ahead and built them any way! Bunch of Senators and Congress critters had too much invested in their districts and company pay outs, so we waste BILLIONS on Failure's that will get a lot of good sailors killed!

Littoral Combat Ship program, both miserable failures,

I hesitate to wander just a little bit out of the OP's topic, but I visited a LCS a few years ago and I was really unimpressed.

- Limited firepower
- Limited crew (bad for fire control etc.)
- Outrageous cost, almost $1B a piece vs. $220M original unit cost!

Back to the zombie scenario :): Labor Day specials abound in my email in-box. One can buy a new AR-15 for $399.99!

1567387167531.png

I hesitate to wander just a little bit out of the OP's topic, but I visited a LCS a few years ago and I was really unimpressed.

- Limited firepower
- Limited crew (bad for fire control etc.)
- Outrageous cost, almost $1B a piece vs. $220M original unit cost!

Back to the zombie scenario :): Labor Day specials abound in my email in-box. One can buy a new AR-15 for $399.99!

View attachment 5513

Could you pass on details of the kind retailer?

Sportsman's Outdoor SuperStore in Hebron, OH is very frequently selling good ARs at delicious prices. I bought a Windham Weaponry SRC (Sight-Ready Carbine) for $500 two weeks after that Parkland, Florida thing. It's a nice little gun. Windham is the Bushmaster team reunited, reenergized and ready to rock Black Rifles right out to you. They offer a bunch of things to buy; check 'em out...

Last Edited:
Could you pass on details of the kind retailer?

No connection to them, just the recipient of their Labor Day e-mail.

The copy states the Radical Firearms AR-type offers both an ambidextrous magazine release and bolt release. I looked at the pictures; I do not see such attributes. A righthanded user wouldn't need ambidextrous controls because the rifle was designed for righthanded users. Back when the M-16 was adopted for military use, Uncle Sam taught every soldier to shoot righthanded-- whether he was or was not when the boot got off the bus.

The AR-type rifle is so popular today that aftermarket makers of accessory parts make and sell just about anything you'd want to hang onto one. I add an extended magazine release, extended bolt release, an enhanced (and decidedly-protruding) pistol grip, an enlarged trigger guard, maybe a free-float handguard tube, mushroom-head takedown & pivot pins, an ambidextrous safety selector, a set of low-power hammer & trigger springs, an enhanced charging handle, non-rotating hammer & trigger pins and lastly... I'm waiting for a tsunami of ambition to come along and I'll install a bunch of trigger-creep screws between the trigger and the pistol grip screw. This last one will require a small measure of disassembly, and I'm just not too revved-up to sit down and do it. I bought both 3/4" and 7/8" grip screws in case the 7/8" one was too long and bottomed-out against the soft-tip setscrew before the grip got nice an' tight. I have yet to get my act together and get these little doo-dads installed.

I put these things onto my ARs because I do not want mine to look like everybody else's weapon-- like every kid who owns a 1969 Camaro with a small block. They all have Edelbrock four-barrel intakes and all have Holley 750cfm double-pumpers, Hooker headers and maybe the kid went so far as to install a camshaft. I had a Crane in my hotrod. It was a 272/284 and it would lope exactly as I wanted it to when I chose that part number. With so many parts options, spend a few bucks to make your rifle your rifle...

grap screws.JPG

Click on the image to make it bigger...

Last Edited:
This has been a very interesting and useful thread... thank you to everyone who has posted information here. (Don't stop!)
I feel I should say thank you in a tangible way, so I am going to give you a nice Americanized version of an old nursery tale, for your
children or grandchildren.

bloemlezing.jpg

Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf
As soon as Wolf began to feel
That he would like a decent meal,
He went and knocked on Grandma's door.
When Grandma opened it, she saw
The sharp white teeth, the horrid grin,
And Wolfie said, ``May I come in?''
Poor Grandmamma was terrified,
``He's going to eat me up!'' she cried.
And she was absolutely right.
He ate her up in one big bite.
But Grandmamma was small and tough,
And Wolfie wailed, ``That's not enough!
I haven't yet begun to feel
That I have had a decent meal!''
He ran around the kitchen yelping,
``I've got to have a second helping!''
Then added with a frightful leer,
``I'm therefore going to wait right here
Till Little Miss Red Riding Hood
Comes home from walking in the wood.''
He quickly put on Grandma's clothes,
(Of course he hadn't eaten those).
He dressed himself in coat and hat.
He put on shoes, and after that
He even brushed and curled his hair,
Then sat himself in Grandma's chair.
In came the little girl in red.
She stopped. She stared. And then she said,
``What great big ears you have, Grandma.''
``All the better to hear you with,'' the Wolf replied.
``What great big eyes you have, Grandma.''
said Little Red Riding Hood.
``All the better to see you with,'' the Wolf replied.
He sat there watching her and smiled.
He thought, I'm going to eat this child.
Compared with her old Grandmamma
She's going to taste like caviar.
Then Little Red Riding Hood said, ``But Grandma,
what a lovely great big furry coat you have on.''
``That's wrong!'' cried Wolf. ``Have you forgot
To tell me what BIG TEETH I've got?
Ah well, no matter what you say,
I'm going to eat you anyway.''
The small girl smiles. One eyelid flickers.
She whips a pistol from her knickers.
She aims it at the creature's head
And bang bang bang, she shoots him dead.
A few weeks later, in the wood,
I came across Miss Riding Hood.
But what a change! No cloak of red,
No silly hood upon her head.
She said, ``Hello, and do please note
My lovely furry wolfskin coat.''

Roald Dahl, Revolting Rhymes

Well, most the members of my afternoon bridge club carry 9mms although there is one .45 and a couple of 380s.
Woe be unto the glans penis who deigns to perpetrate evil against those pistol-packin' grannies. Will make him soil his BVDs when he sees a bunch of black holes pointed at him...

If I were caught with an AR in the UK I'd go to prison, probably for several years. No, I'm thinking about the US.
Your post matches what I have read elsewhere and fits my own prejudices.
But perhaps others have some objections?
If you owned an AR of good quality in Britain, you would be carrying a better weapon than your country's military.:D

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Prescott Valley, AZ
Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top