JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

9mm 115 OR 124 gr bullet... all things equil which has less recoil/kick?

• 124gr has less kick/recoil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9mm handgun has opposite results than 9mm carbin

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
I have always figured the lighter bull would kick/recoil less (all other factors equal). A well respected gun shop owner is telling me its the opposite. I am referring to "9mm 115 OR 124 gr bullet... all things equal which has less recoil/kick"?

Will a subsonic powder charge have different results than a normal or +P?

Different results with handgun or 9mm rifle?

What is your experiance

If the only thing you changed was the bullet the heavier bullet will recoil more.
If you used the same powder charge for both the 115 will be faster. And the faster bullet may feel a bit snappier but the recoil if measured in weight would still lean to the heavier bullet
If you adjusted the powder to give the same speed the heavier bullet would recoil harder.
If you took a box of 115 and 124 gr 9mm of the shelf there will be differences in speed besides the bullet weight. That may be where the LGS owner got the lighter bullet recoiling harder. [ the difference in the loads]. Neither have much recoil in a full size pistol. DR

Don't shoot 9mm, but have fired many thousands of rounds of 45ACP, a 200 gr bullet traveling 1000fps will recoil less than a 230 gr bullet traveling 890fps. Power factor of the 200gr bullet is 200, power factor of the 230gr bullet is 204.7 (both at stated velocity), the difference is just about as close as you can get, but the felt recoil of the 200gr bullet is less than that of the 230grain bullet. Personal experience only. Shot many more 200 grainers because of that.

Mike

If the only thing you changed was the bullet the heavier bullet will recoil more.
If you used the same powder charge for both the 115 will be faster. And the faster bullet may feel a bit snappier but the recoil if measured in weight would still lean to the heavier bullet
If you adjusted the powder to give the same speed the heavier bullet would recoil harder.
If you took a box of 115 and 124 gr 9mm of the shelf there will be differences in speed besides the bullet weight. That may be where the LGS owner got the lighter bullet recoiling harder. [ the difference in the loads]. Neither have much recoil in a full size pistol. DR
That's pretty much what I thought. I'm looking to have easy shooting practice reloads for the wife using her G27. So probably a good subsonic charge (1000fps or so) with a 115gr would minimize both snap and recoil? Do you think cycling would be an issue?

Edit...G26

Last Edited:
For what it is worth (FWIW) the math is F=MVV read as Force equals Mass times Velocity squared.
Without knowing the velocity it is hard to accurately define which round has less recoil.

Other factors regarding "felt recoil" include the weight of the gun and how it is held

Generally lighter projectiles have higher velocity and obviously have lower mass.
when the mass delta is small it's generally the bullet speed that matters more in felt recoil.

Here's a link to a site for calculating this on your own:

1) Without knowing the velocity it is hard to accurately define which round has less recoil.

2) Other factors regarding "felt recoil" include the weight of the gun and how it is held

3) Here's a link to a site for calculating this on your own:
1) I should have been more clear when I said "all things being equal". To be clear:
115gr bullet with enough powder to push sub sonic 1020fps (not sure the load)
124gr bullet with (more) powder to push sub sonic 1020fps (not sure the +load)

2) Glock 26 (gun, weight and being held the same with both 115 &124gr bullet)

3) thank you, now I need to find a site that can tell me what powder and weight to use to achive 1020fps with A) 115gr bullet & B)124gr bullet

MY take away thus far:
1) 115gr wins over 124gr @ same fps (different powder loads)
2) should cycle both PC9 & G26

1) I should have been more clear when I said "all things being equal". To be clear:
115gr bullet with enough powder to push sub sonic 1020fps (not sure the load)
124gr bullet with (more) powder to push sub sonic 1020fps (not sure the +load)

2) Glock 26 (gun, weight and being held the same with both 115 &124gr bullet)

3) thank you, now I need to find a site that can tell me what powder and weight to use to achive 1020fps with A) 115gr bullet & B)124gr bullet

MY take away thus far:
1) 115gr wins over 124gr @ same fps (different powder loads)
2) should cycle both PC9 & G26
Well that cleared things up. I agree 115gr rounds going the same velocity as 124 grain will have less felt recoil.
Here's a thought for you though. @ 1020 fps you are shooting subsonic so why not add a suppressor to the mix.
You will be able to find great loads for 147gr rounds that are subsonic, the suppressor will tame the recoil, and your hearing might actually improve!

Of course your 115 gr loads at 1020fps will work great with the suppressor and have even less recoil as a result.

I find shooting my 45 suppressed very addicting, I can image a subsonic 9mm round will be "22lr" like to some.

Using Power Factor is a fast way of determining potential recoil or energy of a load. The formula is very simple thus fast to determine. It is simply bullet weight (in grains) X velocity (FPS) divided by 1000. So 115gr X 1020/1000 = 117.3, 124gr X 1020/1000 = 126.5 Thus your power factor is higher for the 124gr bullet. If you want energy of a particular load the formula is more complex, Mass (bullet weight in grains) X Velocity Squared (FPS) / 450240
This is the formula I use, there are at least two other versions of it using a different divisor number, but as long as you use the same divisor number in all your calculations the comparison values will be accurate.

Mike

That's pretty much what I thought. I'm looking to have easy shooting practice reloads for the wife using her G27. So probably a good subsonic charge (1000fps or so) with a 115gr would minimize both snap and recoil? Do you think cycling would be an issue?

Edit...G26
The G26 is a fairly light gun. I might load a few at 1000fps and a few at just under 1100 fps just to see which works more consistently.
If you are at Sea Level 1080 fps is subsonic, so both loads are close. DR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top