JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am now using Herter's Select Grade .38 special 158 grain, FMJ bullets with a brass casing. They seem only to be available from Cabela's. Their price is reasonable (typically 33 cents per round), so it's not a bad thing, but relying on a single source can lead to trouble for the consumer.

So I've been looking at other brands that fit the criteria:

MagTech (Brazil),

Sellier & Beloit (Belgium),

Armscor (Philippines),

Federal (Anoka, MN) and

Fiocchi (Italy).

Does anyone have a pro or con opinions on any of these, or another brand that I may have missed?

Alex

I have used S&B and Fiocchi. you will find that they are loaded to european spec which is a little hotter than SAAMI spec[ American] ammo. I use both S&B and Fiocchi as carry ammo. Fiocchi in there carry lines use Hornady XTP bullets. Their cheaper practice ammo is still loaded to the Euro spec but use a FMJ bullet. I wouldn't have any problem endorsing either brand. DR

Thanks DR, that's a good reference. There are so many brands out there and I didn't even list all of them.

By the way, I selected Remington Ultimate Defense, Compact Handgun .38 +P, 125 Grain Brass Jacketed Hollow Point (BJHP) for personal defense, in part because of the +P, but mostly because of their special attention to the "compact" handgun. I have a Ruger SP101 snub nose and the muzzle velocity, or how it is diminished by a short barrel, is an issue that comes up often. I don't know exactly what they mean by their compact reference (I might be getting duped by advertising), but it's what sold me on it. I'm hoping I'll never have to use that stuff anyway.

I still have my old S&W model 66-2 .357 Mag that I load with Winchester 125 grain .38 special +P JHP ammo. I have not carried the gun in years, but I cannot bring myself to part with it, as I bought it from my now deceased father many years ago, and it has sentimental value for that reason.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm new at all this but I just heard a similar story from a guy who's uncle passed and left him a .38 service revolver and a .38 snub nose. His uncle was a cop and used that snub nose under cover work for several years. That guy expressed a similar feeling for those revolvers. I don't know him but I'm really glad he got those guns, and not someone who might just sell them at a local gun shop.

Thanks too, for the Winchester recommendation. I like the 125 grain for targets, but the 158 makes more sense for me if I'm going to eventually use it for the revolver and a rifle, and so far the price is the same.

If you are looking at Remington ammo look for rounds using their Golden Sabre bullets. They had a very good reputation as a police round.Without seeing them I can't tell for sure but your BJHP bullets may be Golden Saber but listed under another name. Good Luck DR

Thanks again, DR. With my limited experience I can't be sure, but I've read about at least one brand that got repackaged, so it's certainly possible.

Background:
Cabela's owns the Herter's name. Sellier & Bellot in Vlašim, Czech Republic make the ammo and the Sellier & Bellot Company is owned by the Brazilian Ammunition Manufacturing Company Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos (Portuguese is the official language of Brazil) or CBC.

And to provide further insight: Tested: Herter's Select Grade Brass Case Ammunition

Oh lookie, Sellier & Bellot from the CZ Rep is on your inital posting list!

New Resource Reviews

Back Top