JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A recent question I had was WHO carries a .32 these days, and is it still a viable choice for carry use!
I have had a Walther PPK in .32 ACP for seemingly forever, and while I do not carry it every day, It does ride as back up in a ankle holster, often enough that I actually prefer it to the Big Brother PPK in .380 Auto!
While there has been much hype about "Minimums" in pistol cartridge selection, 9 mm being the bottom of the list of acceptable, I still see the .32 as a good reliable performer, especially now that many ammunition companies have finally stepped up development and testing of the once mighty little round! I know a few "Old Timers" who still carry a .32 as their only pistol, and they seem to think it's plenty!

What say you?
View attachment 4174
Why not, better than nothing... nice looking little pistol.

what's the point to a 32 when you can carry a 380 gun in the same size with similar recoil or a 9mm in the same size that's a bit heavier with just a stronger recoil impulse?

People don't typically carry a .32 because they think it's best. They carry it because it's the best they have for a particular purpose. Technology has come a long way but many times funds are limited.

what's the point to a 32 when you can carry a 380 gun in the same size with similar recoil or a 9mm in the same size that's a bit heavier with just a stronger recoil impulse?
Noticeably lower recoil, smaller footprint. I can think of good choices in 380 for size like a softer shooting Kahr CW380, but that gun is a bear to rack and very picky on ammo (Mine love any ammo using the 90 Grain XTP by Hornady) I have a dozen pocket 380's, keep wanting more, like a disease.

I've got a little Colt .380 Government that I love. Years ago I sent it to Robar and had their NP3 coating applied and added Novak sights. Loaded with Corbon +P's, it's one of my favorites.

The 32acp is a great round for those who have to carry a firearm in deep concealment. This caliber is the largest I would carry in a Seecamp pistol. For comparison, the 380acp Seecamp hurts to shoot in such a small gun.

Because Adolph Hitler committed suicide using a Walther PPK chambered in 32acp, I always thought that Walther missed a golden marketing opportunity: "Hey, WE killed Hitler!" ;)

Respectfully,

Aaron Gibson

My wife has the parent Tomcat with painted sights. Because the Allycat has been discontinued, I'm wondering if fresh tritium sights are still available for it? Unfortunately for the Tomcat, front sights are not dovetailed making an upgrade not cost effective.
I picked up a Walther PP .32 that was a bit worn at auction, took it to my local gunsmith, and had him put Novak Night sights on it and Cerakoat it.
thorborg you could get Novak sight installed on the Berretta.

32 PP.jpg

I carry the S&W 432 and I love it. Small, lightweight and extremely accurate. I shoot the .32 Magnum comfortably out of it. It's designed to shoot the .327 Magnum out of it, but I think the .327 is way too much for such a lightweight revolver. It also came in a hammerless (S&W 431). But they're very hard to find. Taurus produced the 327 model in stainless or black that is a close copy of the S&W 432. Several gunsmith's have told me that the .32 Magnum is comparable to the knock down power of the .38 Special. You can also shoot the .32 short or long out of these revolvers.

wm_8679672.jpg Smith-and-Wesson-432PD-6-shot-32-HandR-magnum-ANIB_101034535_1124_F40E76FD87BA4667.jpeg wm_1457250.jpg

I carry the S&W 432 and I love it. Small, lightweight and extremely accurate. I shoot the .32 Magnum comfortably out of it. It's designed to shoot the .327 Magnum out of it, but I think the .327 is way too much for such a lightweight revolver. It also came in a hammerless (S&W 431). But they're very hard to find. Taurus produced the 327 model in stainless or black that is a close copy of the S&W 432. Several gunsmith's have told me that the .32 Magnum is comparable to the knock down power of the .38 Special. You can also shoot the .32 short or long out of these revolvers.

The .327 Mag Taurus is a lot of gun for the money. I wouldn't feel under-gunned with one at my side. It makes for a pretty compact weapon.

You know, all this talk about .32 caliber handguns reminds me of an old Jim Croche song.

Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown . . . .

I guess we are all just channeling our inner "Leroy "
Reminds me of the movie, "The Irishman," starring Robert Deniro. At one point he touts the .32 revolver as his weapon of choice because it is light, fits easily in a pocket, and doesn't make a lot of noise. And, it gets the job done - in this case, a double tap at very close range.

I had a post WWII Nazi hunter tell me a story once about a guy he was hunting. He shot the guy point blank with both barrels from a double barrel 12 ga. He relaxed, thinking that the guy had to be dead, and the guy got up and reached for his gun. He told me the point of his story was that there is no such thing as a magic caliber.

At the end of the day, it's more about shot placement and mindset of your opponent than about caliber. Also, it helps even the odds if you can shoot your assailant more than once. 😎

I had a post WWII Nazi hunter tell me a story once about a guy he was hunting. He shot the guy point blank with both barrels from a double barrel 12 ga. He relaxed, thinking that the guy had to be dead, and the guy got up and reached for his gun. He told me the point of his story was that there is no such thing as a magic caliber.

At the end of the day, it's more about shot placement and mindset of your opponent than about caliber. Also, it helps even the odds if you can shoot your assailant more than once. 😎
Absolutely true

A recent question I had was WHO carries a .32 these days, and is it still a viable choice for carry use!
I have had a Walther PPK in .32 ACP for seemingly forever, and while I do not carry it every day, It does ride as back up in a ankle holster, often enough that I actually prefer it to the Big Brother PPK in .380 Auto!
While there has been much hype about "Minimums" in pistol cartridge selection, 9 mm being the bottom of the list of acceptable, I still see the .32 as a good reliable performer, especially now that many ammunition companies have finally stepped up development and testing of the once mighty little round! I know a few "Old Timers" who still carry a .32 as their only pistol, and they seem to think it's plenty!

What say you?
View attachment 4174Yes, it is…as a third option, shot placement is more important is the main point of concern is all. Just ptactice…

Beretta Tomcat with FMJs. I carried one for years with CT laser grips. Great little gun. I've even carried its .25acp little brother. I like all the tip up barrel Berettas.

What say you?
View attachment 4174
If you shoot it well and the ammo/gun combo is reliable then why not?

I remember a guy at the gun show telling me he was walking down the street when someone shot his bud in the forehead with a .32 & then the guy who was shot picking the bullet out of his head & beating the shooter's @ss

Guess it's all about shot placement with a gun that size--better aim for the eye
I have heard essentially the same story said about every caliber. It seems the solution is keep shooting

I have a berretta 32 tomcat with the flip up barrel I bought for my wife as a house gun because she couldn't rack slides with her tiny wrist albeit its a pretty heavy packer but sure sucks up recoil for her. I also have an Iver Johnson 1900 in 32 that actually shoots pretty good all things considering
View attachment 4274
I've considered both the 22lr and the 32 Berettas with tip up threaded barrels. Lately I'm leaning to one of the Shield models in either 9mm or 30 super carry

Update: Note Shield Plus means double stack mags but harder springs, much stiffer recoil spring and insane mag springs at least for 30 super carry.
Only the Shield EZ has the reduced slide and mag spring tension rates.

Girsan has a Beretta Cheetah clone with tip up barrel though it isn't very small.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top