JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes .. kind of saw that info re the .243 being a necked down .308 ... but I have a friend who has a .243 and I have found it east/fun to shoot ... so I am kind of leaning to a .243 ... Perhaps in a Savage something or a Weatherby something .. Thanks for the info

Arthritis and age are why I downside from .270 to .243
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 243, especially if you go with the weight of a standard wood stocked rig and a limbsavor recoil pad from Brownells. Thus packaged, with the added weight of a scope, the recoil will not cause any duress shooting unassisted, even when pushing the 3000fps level, and only a little noticeable when rigidly confined while bench shooting.
Here is my Remington 700 in 243, originally cut down for a youth just to allude to its gentle recoil.
But make no mistake, it is not a wimpy or slow moving caliber for anyone other than the bigger is better crowd. Because of its alteration, I got a nice deal, and it was no big problem to add some UHMW plastic and a nice limbsaver to bring up to 14.5" lop to fit me. Which, by the bye, also perfectly restored the balance.
IMGP0073.JPG
Nothing sweeter than to throw a rifle to the shoulder, and have the scope come into crystal clear view ready to fire without fidgeting.

Thank you ... I have just purchased my Savage .243 with a couple boxes of 80 grain ammo ... so I suspect that if it ever cools down a bit her in the Phoenix Arizona I will head out to the range ... ... or maybe run up to Bass Pro .. I think they have an indoor range ...

I will post some hopefully positive results.

After several shoulder surgery's I have reduced my big game rifles down to 30-30, and 6.5x55. Both do the job, I just have to get closer!

Congrats on the 243! With lighter bullets they do great on coyote sized animals and with heavy bullets do fine on deer sized. DR

Thank you ... I have just purchased my Savage .243 with a couple boxes of 80 grain ammo ... so I suspect that if it ever cools down a bit her in the Phoenix Arizona I will head out to the range ... ... or maybe run up to Bass Pro .. I think they have an indoor range ...

I will post some hopefully positive results.

I don't think that Bass Pro has an indoor range ( I believe they have a 'virtual' range). Caswells in Mesa is an indoor range, as is C2 tactical by Ikea off of I-10, and Ted's in Queen Creek. I think that Caswells lane distance is 65', C2's rifle side is 75', and Ted's is also 75'. Any of them will help you get your initial scope sighting done. Then you can head out to Rio Salado Sportsman's Club when the weather cools off to get sighted in at 100, 200, and 300 yards.

Last Edited:
I don't think that Bass Pro has an indoor range ( I believe they have a 'virtual' range). Caswells in Mesa is an indoor range, as is C2 tactical by Ikea off of I-10, and Ted's in Queen Creek. I think that Caswells lane distance is 65', C2's rifle side is 75', and Ted's is also 75'. Any of them will help you get your initial scope sighting done. Then you can head out to Rio Salado Sportsman's Club when the weather cools off to get sighted in at 100, 200, and 300 yards.
Thank you for the update/info ... I will probably be sighting in at 25, 50 and 100 yards unless Rio Salado is offering either powered carts or some sort or runners with good legs ... !

Scope that came with the rifle is a Weaver KASPA .. and was kindly warned by the store that I should probably upgrade the scope .. I have a choice of either a Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 4-12x40mm or a Leupold Freedom 4-12x40mm ... might their be some opinions or experience out there that can help me decide ? ... They are "about" the same price ...

Thank you for the update/info ... I will probably be sighting in at 25, 50 and 100 yards unless Rio Salado is offering either powered carts or some sort or runners with good legs ... !
243 has a pretty flat trajectory . For a hunting gun with a 100 yd zero you would only have a 1 " drop at 150 and less than 3" at 200 yds.
If you went to a 200 yd zero You would be near 1" high at 100, zero at 200, and near 5" low at 300. Without any adjustments at all you would be on if aimed at the center of any deer less that 300 yds away or less.
Or if you don't want to walk that far Zero to hit 1" high at 100 yds. Good Luck. DR

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top