JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was listening to Tom Gresham's Gun Talk radio, he was interviewing the owner of Centennial Gun Club and they were talking about their full auto rentals and they kept referring to these full autos as "Machine Guns". I guess this is a generic term but I'm disappointed to hear those in the gun industry use imprecise terminology.

Sadly, the public at large will fall for it hook line and sinker, and while these people really should know better, the damage has already been done!
I agree, I HATE it when such a specific term is used in a generalized form and applied incorrectly to items it is most definitely Not! Such is the nature of things these days!

Hmmm...I've always thought, "Full Auto" ment just that. Fully Automatic means Machine Gun to me. Now, you can nit pick and say, "Select Fire".
So, not trying to pic-nits. But I've been educated that a true machine gun was belt fed crew operated dedicated full auto only.
Where as select fire battle rifle was never intended for sustained full auto, which would ultimately destroy it.
The only reason I care about the semantics is that I hate for those in the gun industry to feed the media anymore fodder for propaganda.

Gotta be honest and say that I can see where a civilian would see a full auto as a machine gun. If you are ex military or even active then you would know the difference.

Unfortunately we can't all be military trained.

Ok. I guess terminology has changed in the 60+ years since I've been in the military. Face bigsmyl.gif

The ATF defines "machine gun" as a wheppin that fires more than one round with a single actuation of the trigger. Not many of us could have owned an M60 before May 19, 1986 but many of us could have purchased an M-16 at about $1000 and the $200 tax stamp before that date. As much as we all do not like it, the government has the power to define words. If Uncle Benevolence says an M-16 is a machine gun... it's a machine gun.

We have to work with what Uncle says. They can throw us into prison if we run afoul of their terminology-- for anything under discussion. I totally disagree with paying capital gains tax. I built the business; the government just came along when I sold and exacted its 35 percent. Their argument is that the free-market economy we have here "allowed" me to become prosperous. Uncle did not help me build the business, but they sure as hellsinki come along right quick and push any other creditors out of line when I liquidate and have some temporary money in my hand.

The tax code is not written to fund the government. It's written to shape the behavior of people who deign to accumulate more than a job would pay them. Look at the wackos running for President on the Criminal Left: A few spout-off about taxing people who make a huge amount of money and about taxing those who have already accumulated a large amount of money. How is that going to affect me? It won't, beyond making some of minuscule minds believe those evil batsards who have more than me or some other nameless schlub are finally "getting what they deserve." I do not care how wealthy some other person might be. I have plenty of my own concerns; that someone I will never encounter is wealthy beyond my imagination makes no difference to me. Why should it?

I believe the issue is that most people don't care. We as gun lovers (nuts), are passionate about our dealings with guns. Doesn't matter what it is for us....shooter, collector, competitor, or any combination of such. We get passionate about clip vs magazine or M4 vs M16 or select fire vs machine gun. So we can educate the public until they have a Phd in fire power but until they care, well I guess we get what we get. Lol.

Nvshooter, I agree. There are machine guns and sub-machine guns. I've referred to mine as machine guns. ATF defines it. 'nuff said. About soaking the rich, I really have a problem with those that believe that THEY will never be rich and so have to pay. Must be low self-esteem.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top