1. Be excellent to each other
Though this may sound a little 'out there', we couldn't phrase it better than our sixteenth president, Abraham Lincoln (captured on VHS circa 1989).
Websters defines excellent as "unusually good" or "much better than average". Our goal of welcoming all gun owners means you're likely to find a diverse group here. Going above and beyond when interacting with others you may disagree with is not easy, but it is a condition of your membership. You don't have to be warm and cuddly, but you do have to be courteous and respectful. When things get heated, simply avoid using the word you.
How you treat others here is a direct reflection on all gun owners, and believe us, people are watching. Opting for the high road is always the best choice, and arguing on the internet is pointless. Since we don't have time to babysit, we don't care who started it; most heated discussions result in both parties receiving a reminder. Continued friction between members is best dealt with via the ignore button.
This rule is purposely vague to inclusively prohibit a wide variety of rude, malicious, catty, sarcastic, hurtful, hateful, spiteful, barbed, and ornery behavior within the Northwest Firearms community including:
- General rudeness and disrespect (as outlined above).
- Epithets, labels, and generalizations against another person or group of people, whether they are members here or not. These serve absolutely no purpose other than to divide us, directly opposite to our goal of uniting gun owners. This is especially relevant in regard to political labels (such as 'the liberal media', 'those right-wingers', and even 'left/right'). Pro-gun and anti-gun are the only labels that should be applied here, as we are a single issue
community. This rule also applies to but is not limited to epithets, labels, and generalizations pertaining to race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, ethnicity, nationality, occupation (such as law enforcement), and every other one you can think of. Disagreement over what constitutes a religion, race, sexual orientation, ethnicity, etcetra is not a legitimate excuse.
- Using someone's affiliations as an ad hominem means of dismissing or discrediting their views regardless of whether said affiliations are mainstream. An example could be "you're a vegetarian, so what would you know about hunting?".
- Linking to external attacks, harassment, or other material, for the purpose of attacking another member.
- Comparing members to Nazis, dictators, or other infamous persons.
- Accusations about personal behavior. If you believe a person's personal behavior is questionable, on or off the site, please contact a moderator.
- Giving out personal information about another member, such as name, phone number, address, etc.
- Threats, including, but not limited to:
- Threats of legal action.
- Threats of violence or other off-site action (particularly death threats).
- Threats of physical or electronic vandalism.
- Threats or actions which deliberately expose other members to political, religious or other persecution by government, their employer or any others.
- Threats to give out personal information about another member.
These examples are not exhaustive. Insulting or disparaging another member is prohibited regardless of the manner in which it is done.
2. Religious and non-firearm political content is prohibited
We are a single-issue organization, focused solely on bringing people together in support of the 2nd Amendment. Religious and political content is inherently divisive, working against the very goals of our organization. This includes news-related content that our staff believes may cause division. This rule applies to the site in its entirety, including the Off Topic section.
It is important to note that firearm-related political content is not prohibited. However, clear attempts to fabricate this relation may be considered a rule violation.
3. Divisive, negative, offensive, or inappropriate content is prohibited
This is the guideline which sets the overall look, feel, and tone of our community. As a public organization with clearly defined goals, we must do everything we can to establish and maintain a positive, welcoming, family-friendly environment. Per our Terms of Service, it is the responsibility of every member to act accordingly.
This rule is all encompassing, including threads, posts, images, videos, language, innuendos, insinuations, suggestions, intimations, implications, hints, overtones, undertones, allusions, and references, or links to content which would be considered divisive, negative, offensive, or inappropriate if posted here. This also includes causing discord by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages, either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking others into an emotional response, or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion (aka Trolling).
Hiding or masking this type of content, such as attempting to avoid the language filter (d$#@!) or through vague wording, will be considered a violation of this rule.
4. Copying and pasting copyrighted material is prohibited
Copyright infringement is a very real legal threat to online forums, even causing some to shut down indefinitely. Though we see it often across the internet, we have to insist you do not re-post articles, emails, or other content found elsewhere on the net. Remember that non-firearm political content is not allowed here.
Because they cannot be linked, please do not re-post emails.
5. Commercial advertising without Supporting Vendor status is prohibited
To cover costs associated with operation and maintenance, this site relies on support from members and advertisers. Without this financial support, this site would not exist. Our Supporting Vendors are reasonable to expect their competitors are not getting the same benefits without cost. This rule extends to business-related usernames and profile information as well. Also prohibited are non-business members repeatedly using the classifieds to turn a profit (for example, buying cheap ammunition at Wal-Mart then reselling at higher prices). If you're interested in becoming a Supporting Vendor please use our Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.
6. Farewell threads, posts, etc. are prohibited
Members may cease participation in our community by simply no longer visiting our site. Threads, posts, conversations, and other submissions announcing your departure will be removed. Exceptions may be made for life events, vacations, etc.
7. Discussing staff issues in the open forum is prohibited
If you have a problem with a staff member or a reminder you have received please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page to. We will review these submissions as soon as possible.
8. Misuse of the classified section is prohibited
All members are required to follow these classified rules.
Thread-crapping occurs when a member posts negative comments in another members classified ad. If you believe there is a problem with the ad either start a conversation with the seller or report the post for moderation.
Members must comply with local, state, and federal laws at all times
It is up to individual members to comply with all laws at all times. Please remember, it is never legal to sell firearms across state lines without the involvement of an FFL.
All want to sell ads are required to have a price
We require all want to sell ads have the price of the item clearly stated. Auction style listings are not allowed.
Follow through once you commit to a purchase, sale, or trade
Once you commit to a deal you should do your best to follow through. Members who flake on deals will likely receive negative feedback, which will not be removed.
Ads are to be posted only in the classified section of the site
Do not post ads anywhere except the proper classified section.
Ads must have the correct prefix
Classified prefixes contain vital information, such as the intention of the seller and the location of the item.
Create separate ads for different item types (pistols, rifles, shotguns, ammo, etc)
If you have a pistol and a rifle for sale, create two separate ads, one in the pistol section and one in the rifle section.
Similar category items should be grouped together in one thread
To avoid drawing negative attention for front page spam, similar items should be grouped into one thread. For example, one should not create multiple threads for each box of ammunition they have for sale.
You are required to lock your ad once it is no longer active
When a member locks their ad it lets others know it is no longer active. Click here for
General questions not specific to an ad should be asked in a discussion section, not within a classified ad
The classified section is not the appropriate place for item discussion. Instead, create a new thread in the appropriate discussion section.
Creation of two or more ads for the same item is prohibited
No member is to have more than one ad for the same item at the same time.
Creation of fake, comedic, or satirical ads is prohibited
No member is to post an ad for an item they do not actually have for sale or are looking to buy. No member is to post an ad for the purpose of comedy or satire.
If you close an ad and decide to re-post the item, you must wait 7 days
Closing an ad then re-posting the item within 7 days is prohibited. Members may re-open closed classified ads.
All group buys must be approved by the staff before being posted
No member or Supporting Vendor is to start a group buy without express permission from
No member may post items in the Great Deals section which they are selling themselves
This section is intended for deal alerts & discussion of third party sales only.
Rules last updated February 29th, 2016