JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For those of you southwest shooters who partake in the rimfire challenge/speed steel type matches, then check out CP Firearms new offering for the Ruger MK4 22/45 (Mantis) and the soon to be released 10/22 offering (Dragonfly). I'm a very happy Mantis customer! šŸ˜

He is local to me (Portland Metro Area in Oregon) and also a member of NWFA. You can follow CP firearms on FB and Instagram.
Here is a link to his site.

Interesting designs!

Huge fan of rimfire challenge/speed steel, need to make an effort to get out more this year :)

Looks like Albany (ARPC) is doable for you.
$10 to play. 4th Sunday of the month. I shoot there and at TCGC depending on my work schedule. I prefer ARPC snd I'm also a member there. PM me if you'd like more info/details.;)

Looks like Albany (ARPC) is doable for you.
$10 to play. 4th Sunday of the month. I shoot there and at TCGC depending on my work schedule. I prefer ARPC snd I'm also a member there. PM me if you'd like more info/details.;)
Ya Albany is 35 min. I would mind going and watching. I'm not really a speed shooter, although I've gotta more practice the last couple years shooting chickens

You don't have to be a speed shooter to enjoy speed steel. You can go at your own pace and compete with yourself. Some of us can get pretty serious with the competitive side of it, but at the end of the day, it's all about exercising our 2A rights and the camaraderie you get from shooting matches with fellow like minded folkā€¦..

I was present when @Joe Link "popped" his speed steel cherry at TCGG's match! šŸ¤£

You don't have to be a speed shooter to enjoy speed steel. You can go at your own pace and compete with yourself. Some of us can get pretty serious with the competitive side of it, but at the end of the day, it's all about exercising our 2A rights and the camaraderie you get from shooting matches with fellow like minded folkā€¦..

I was present when @Joe Link "popped" his speed steel cherry at TCGG's match! šŸ¤£
I mean I shoot alot. Just critters, not steel. What kinda of range our we talking?

Anywhere from 7 to 45yds at TCGC and about 7 to 30yds at Al any depending on the stages. Typical stages are 5 steel targets at various distances. Plate sizes from 8"-14" rounds to torso sized rectangle's.

Each stage (6 stages total) at TCGC and Albany, is shot a total of five strings with your worst time dropped. There is no "running and gunning", just stationary shooting from a designated shooting box.
There is one plate that is designated as the "stop" plate. Typically, you can shoot the stage in any order (some stages are required to be shot in a certain sequence) with the stop plate being hit last. You can shoot as many times as needed to hit all the plates are as much as your magazine will hold. Once each person in your squad (usually 10-12) is done shooting the stage, you paint the steel for the next squad and proceed to the next stage. Rinse and repeat till everyone has cycled through all the stages for the match. Teardown your last stage and you're done! Then go home and patiently wait for the match director to post the scores from the match on practiscore.com. Depending on your placement, you will be either ribbing or receive a ribbing from tour fellow squad mates. A good time indeed! šŸ¤£

It looks like the March match is the next match I can make. Feel free hit me up and you can come check it out. I will tell you this though. If you come to watch, you'll wish you would've signed up to shoot the match in short order! Trust me. Lol
You'll need a practiscore account in order to get registered and squadded for Albany matches. Albany and TCGC are not limited to just rimfire. Centerfire is an option as well. There are several divisions that you can choose to shoot. Rimfire pistol or rifle, with or without an optic (red dot) centerfire pistol or (revolver) with or without an optic and finally PCC (AR9 or Ruger PC9, etc.) with or without optic. Centerfire pistols start from the holster everything else starts at low ready. At least 3 mags (5 is preferred) for the gun you will be using. The more the better as it speeds up the flow of the squad as your squad mates won't have to load mags for you while you are shooting.

In closing, I've mentored a number of members here on the forum over the years get through their 1st speed steel match and of all those folks and other random 1st timer's in my squad, everyone of them left the match with a smile on their face and was looking forward to the next one! Come on out, the water is fine! šŸ˜Ž

Here are some pics of yours truly at Albany and Tri County along with some pics of stage diagrams.

IMG_3259.png IMG_3262.png IMG_3263.png IMG_3264.png IMG_3261.png

New Resource Reviews

Back Top